Engine Oil Dipstick Broke Off Inside Engine

WHTEVNM

Jul 20, 2014
The dipstick that was in my 95 Cobra when I bought it was shorter than a stock dipstick. I couldn't tell if it was cut or broken but I just bought a new one and put it in tonight and it fit fine. I started the car and ran it for a minute and then shut it off and checked the dipstick and about an inch and a half to two inches of the tip had broken off. Do you guys think this has caused damage to the motor? What do I do now? The previous owner had the engine rebuilt so I'm assuming that the oil pan or something was modified. I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

its done. nothing you can do now. that piece has submerged to the bottom of the pan where it will spend its days until you get around to dropping the pan. i dont think there is anything to worry about as far as it getting into anything and causing any damage, so, i'd just leave it.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, it won't cause any harm, but you'll want to figure out what happened before replacing it again. It would be unusual for a dipstick to just "break off" due to the size of the pan, you'd have encountered restriction inserting it, and hopefully you didn't hammer it in. :) What did the break look like? I'd be concerned that it somehow interfered with the crank (perhaps it's a stroker?) -- which wouldn't have suffered any major damage, but may explain why they used a short dipstick in the first place. Unless the engine buzz-sawed that one off two, no you may have two dipstick ends floating around in the pan. Personally, since I'm lazy, I'd use a short, cut dipstick for when the engine is running, and throw a full-sized one in the trunk for when I check the oil. You could also do your best to fish it out through the oil drain plug with a nice magnet.

I can when I get home, if I remember... :thinking: But, I have a stock dip-stick so that may not be helpful.

A photo of the oil pan and the dip stick would be interesting. :worthlesb

The part # on my dip stick (giggity) is F4ZE-6750-BF. The total length including the T handle is 31"... Its actually 22 1/2" from the 2 rivets to the tail of the dip stick. Hope this helps?

Please rephrase your question. Maybe I don't understand what you are asking?

Below is a picture of the dip stick I have in my 94 Cobra 5.0. Total length from tip to T handle is ~31". Between the black lines is ~22.5"

dip stick.jpg

Assuming you have a handle (your engine shouldn't have eaten that), you could measure from handle to rivets. Jman900's already gone above & beyond, you should probably say 'thanks.' Sorry, not my business, but a pet peeve.

Reactions: 1 user