oil in muffler

k5zx

Apr 6, 2006
I recently noticed oil in my magnaflow muffler. Does this mean bad rings or what? the other muffler is a bassani. I also have 4.10 gears I don't know if that is relevant. did the different mufflers mess the exhaust flow and hurt my engine? the bassani muffler visibly emits alot more fumes.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure it is oil?? Could be your tune is off a bit, or depending on your climate, you have had a couple short drives where the car runs rich (warming up) that will "blacken" the inside of your pipes, then throw a little condensation in, and the water mixes with the carbon to look like oil?

yesterday I thought I had posted to another thread (that apparently didnt go through) explaining the following-

Within days of putting in the bassanis, I backed up a driveway on an inclune and mashed one of hte bassanis. I didnt want to spend the $ for another one so had a magnaflow put in. They sound similiar enough.

Are you sure it is oil?? Could be your tune is off a bit, or depending on your climate, you have had a couple short drives where the car runs rich (warming up) that will "blacken" the inside of your pipes, then throw a little condensation in, and the water mixes with the carbon to look like oil?

I am experiencing a typical Oklahoma winter (in the 70s yesterday, freezing rain moving in tonight, rain and snow mix tues, and snow wednesday). But mainly it has been freezing and I think maybe you are right. ALso yesterday I checked my CAI filter and it was totally black. I washed it last night. finally my car has been running lean ever since I put ram air on it.