Oil level question - too high?

Canary94GT

Jun 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I recently had my oil changed at Grease Monkey... I usually always do the oil changes myself but wanted the additional services they supposedly do.

Anyway, I check the oil now and it's beyond the word "FULL" on the dipstick. I have read that these factory dipsticks are incorrect, and it is supposed to be filled beyond the factory cross marks on the dipstick.

But mine is filled beyond the word FULL. Isn't this too much?

I figured I would try to slowly remove the drain plug and let out a bit of oil, but upon trying to do that, I found the drain plug is torqued down to over 30 ft-lbs!! I cannot get it lose without the fear of breaking something. I'm pretty pissed and this further shows why I like to do my own work on the car...

Should I worry about the oil level being too high? I kind of want to go back to grease monkey and have them remove the bolt since they are the idiots, but I really don't even want them touching my car...

• Sponsors (?)

I've never seen any real problems from a car being over filled a LITTLE BIT. The biggest problem is the drain plug being on too tight. Just never bring it back to those guys. Do what it takes to get the drain plug off, including taking a breaker bar to it if that's what it takes. I had a friend have that problem before, and I ended up having to take the oil drain plug off with an impact gun. Surprisingly, it still worked fine afterwards. Just remember, if it's been overtightened, the damage is already done. Backing it out now can't make it any worse. 30 ft.lbs isn't that much, and I think it will probably work fine after you get it out. Go ahead and replace the gasket on the oil drain plug on your next oil change.

Kurt

Alright thanks guys.

The biggest problem with getting it off is 1) I don't have an impact gun and 2) using a breaker bar, I can't get both hands under the car to support and push up on the head of the breaker bar, so it puts a lot of downward stress on the bolt which worries me.

Really pisses me off - does grease monkey check to see if these people have ANY experience before they hire them?

But I did think some more and realized I was trying to take the bolt off with the car cold, so I will try again next time when it's warm and see if that makes it easier.

How do you normally do the oil changes yourself. Do you normally do it with it sitting on the ground and reaching under with 1 hand?

Torque spec for drain plug is 15-25 ft lbs. It may not be a problem if it's not too much over torque spec

That is the torque spec my Ford Service Manual shows.

Most places I've seen torque the drain plug to spec

....even WalMart has proceedures to look up the spec in the book and torque the drain plug and then put a matchmark seal on it afterwards.

Apparently you guys don't or have never worked in a "good" or "professional" shop (I say good or professional because I've seen my share of backwoods hack shops out there) that can be held liable if something should happen to a customers motor after they leave from having work done. Having correct proceedures and doing everything by the book can save your job and possibly the business.

Now if you don't torque your cars drain plug while doing an oil change in the driveway, that's fine and I'm sure no harm is done, but it's your car and not someone elses. I feel you should still give the correct tech info on a forum whether you follow it yourself or not.

Three years doing oil changes, alignments, tire changes, etc at Firestone. I used to do 20 oil changes a day at a reputable shop. Torquing down an oil pan drain plug with a torque wrench is just rediculous.

Kurt

Three years doing oil changes, alignments, tire changes, etc at Firestone. I used to do 20 oil changes a day at a reputable shop. Torquing down an oil pan drain plug with a torque wrench is just rediculous.

Kurt

That explains a lot :D

Why does every vehicle have a torque spec for it then?
Why do dealership service departments do it?
Do you torque lugnuts to spec or just tighten with an impact?

I've never had any good experiences at a Firestone. Took one of my cars there about 12 years ago for tires and not only were they mounted backwards (directionals with arrows pointing wrong way), but they forgot to put the wheel lock back in the car and after I got home and popped the center cap off to check the lug nut torque I noticed about a half inch of one of my studs was broken off. Went back and got the lock back and expected them to repair the stud but they stated that I had no proof that they did it and that I probably broke it checking the torque on the nuts. I said the hell with it, stopped by the Ford parts dept to get a new $2 stud on way home and replaced it myself.

And then about 7 years ago I got a coupon in the mail for a rather cheap oil/filter change and decided to take another one of my cars by there (a totally different location). They were supposed to call when done but never did, so I went back and it was done, but they had a printup of everything that was wrong with the car and an $1800 estimate to fix it including things that weren't wrong like broken coil springs. I've heard about upselling, but making up ****...now come on!

Anyway, with todays economy and as many people that want something for nothing, I'm surprised they didn't have proceedures to help protect themselves from dishing out money into repairs from people coming back days later saying you owe them for repairs or a new motor because something wasn't done right. It happens a lot nowdays more than many would think. My wife is a Co-Manager at WalMart and **** like this happens all the time and even the TLE techs there are required to look up the torque specs and torque the drain plug correctly.

I've been around auto shops all my life, I have never seen anyone put an oil drain plug on with a torque wrench. The idea of it sounds absurd to me. I know they have a torque spec for everything, because the engines and car are assembled on an assembly line by machine, and the machine is programmed to a certain torque spec. I check the Haynes manual. There are about 30 torque specs in there, and if it's not in there then it's probably not that important. There's a torque spec for the spark plugs.....you could never get a torque wrench in there, but there's a torque spec.

But you're right about Firestone, that place does suck. I'll never put a Firestone tire on my car.

Kurt

I've been around auto shops all my life, I have never seen anyone put an oil drain plug on with a torque wrench. The idea of it sounds absurd to me. I know they have a torque spec for everything, because the engines and car are assembled on an assembly line by machine, and the machine is programmed to a certain torque spec. I check the Haynes manual. There are about 30 torque specs in there, and if it's not in there then it's probably not that important. There's a torque spec for the spark plugs.....you could never get a torque wrench in there, but there's a torque spec.

But you're right about Firestone, that place does suck. I'll never put a Firestone tire on my car.

Kurt

Its ok im sure someone on here will chime on with the expert knowledge to use an extension.:rlaugh:

Its ok im sure someone on here will chime on with the expert knowledge to use an extension.:rlaugh:

Without getting all technical about it, using a short 2-3" extension between the socket and wrench won't adversly effect the torque on a spark plug that has a torque spec variance from 2-8 ft lbs anyway.

Read about spark plug torque importance from NGK's site
Spark Plug Installation Instructions

Without getting all technical about it, using a short 2-3" extension between the socket and wrench won't adversly effect the torque on a spark plug that has a torque spec variance from 2-8 ft lbs anyway.

Read about spark plug torque importance from NGK's site
Spark Plug Installation Instructions

Try reaching in to some of the newer 4cyls plugs with a 3'' extension. Ive used a 1/4'' drive with an adapter to put in and take out plugs. This way i cant over torque them unless im trying to hard. Ive never had any issues.

However... I wont do without the torque limiting extensions for impacts.

Isnt there a general rule of thumb about adding 5ft/lbs for each 6'' extension?