Oil life is short?!

Sparty92

Jul 30, 2007
Detroit Burbs
My '11 GT has 3399 or so miles on it...2 months old or so. I hit the "info" button the other day and noticed it said that my oil life was at 41%. If the car has an oil change interval of 10K miles...and I have 3,000 or so miles on the car, why would my oil life be so low?

I'm in Michigan, there's snow. It's not like I'm at a track day going 6,000 RPM for 2 hours straight.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I think Ford meant "up to" 10,000 miles, assuming ideal conditions. Those oil life monitors take into account driving conditions like temperature, probably number of heat cycles, total engine revolutions, etc. Cold weather driving, particularly if you take short drives that never fully warm the oil up will shorten the life of the oil.

Mine had 520 miles and still had 98% oil life remaining when I put it in storage for the winter. All the miles were fairly long runs (50-75 miles), and fairly gentle driving during the break-in period. No city miles, very little idling, and not many heat cycles.

I am at 6700 miles and have 63% oil life left, I plan on getting the oil change at 8000 miles and then whenever the oil minder tells me or once a year.
The dealer I purchased from has the first oil change free, but based on previous oil change experience at other Ford dealers I am dreading it and will ask to look it before they take it off the hoist to make sure belly pan etc is on properly etc and make sure they put 8 qts in. After that I'm doing it myself
Oil life is calculated on number of ignition cycles, engine temperature attained in an ignition cycle (the closer you are to operating temp the better) and duration of ignition cycle are the main factors, there is also a small mileage factor built in.

Mine's back down to 1% after only 2000 miles in the last 6 months since my first oil change at the dealer. I think it's a screwed up system. I'll be changing mine with full synthetic once a year (about 5000 miles).

I don't think oil life monitors can tell oil deterioration. There may be a preset mileage set in your BCM. You may want to take it back to dealer and have them change it to something to your preference. Don't set it to 10K unless you live in the sticks and drive the car like it's a Camry.

I don't think oil life monitors can tell oil deterioration. There may be a preset mileage set in your BCM. You may want to take it back to dealer and have them change it to something to your preference. Don't set it to 10K unless you live in the sticks and drive the car like it's a Camry.

I don't think they can tell deterioration either, but they do adjust based on driving habits.

10k is absolutely fine with the 5.0 and modern lubricants. The 5.0 takes 8 quarts...

If it makes you antsy going that long between changes, take a sample and send it to a lab to have it analyzed.

Blackstone Labs

My car just hit 10,000-miles and my oil life says 43%!!!!!! I baby the car 90% of the time. I've taken it to the track once. Although the oil life says 43%, I still plan on changing my oil next week when I get the chance. I just plan on chaning my oil every 10K miles.

I just found 4-quart bottles of Mobil 1 5-20 at Meijer for $17.99. Kinda handy that you just need to buy two bottles! :)

Gonna get the oil changed mid-late April when I hit 5,000 miles. I'm not sure what my oil life % is right now...

Ok, changed my oil yesterday with the car showing 0% oil life and reminding me every time I started it. I had only driven 2000 miles since last changed pretty much babying it, but figured I should change it. The oil appeared to have about 50% life left at least based on color and texture when I drained it, so I'm not putting a whole lot of faith into this system. I'll be changing mine once a year from now on (5k miles or so), and ignoring the system if it tells me it needs changed. Oil change is super easy on this thing. Just have to remove 4 screws for the air deflector under the engine so you can get to the filter, but takes like 20 min total.

BTW, I used Pennzoil Platinum (very good reviews from what I've read) and Motocraft filter from the dealer (only $4.50 after tax, not bad).