oil pan problem

Fredo

Nov 10, 2003
Byers,Co
I purchased a new oil pan off of e-bay for my 66 Mustang. It said it was the stock oil pan for Mustangs. I installed it, not thinking it might be a little different in size. I put in 5 qts. of oil and my dipstick reads low. It barely touches the stick. I then compared my measurements between the old one and the new one. The deep part of the pan was: (old) 7 1/4" and the (new) was 7 3/4". The shallow part of the pan is: (old) 4" - 3 3/4" it slopes down. the (new) shallow part measures 4" straight across. On the deep part my new pan is 1/2" deeper. Would that make this a 7 qt. pan? And if it is, do I need a different oil dipstick and or tube? Or would I be better off getting another pan?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a 7 qt replacement pan for the 66 Mustang. Canton and others make aftermarket pans that fit, but that's another story.

You can always remark the dipstic when you know exactly what you have in it.

What worries me is the pickup tube. If you left everything else alone, your oil is sitting 1/2 inch lower. You may not pick up oil in corners or up and down hills.

What pan did you order???

I do not know what pan I ordered. The description said it was a stock pan for 65-66 Mustangs. It has now been to long since I purchased it off of e-bay. I cannot even find who I bought it from. Is it possible its for a later model Mustang? Did any of the Mustangs come with a 7 qt. pan?
Now I am not sure what to do. Should I just add two more qts. of oil and call it good? I dont want to starve my engine of oil if it doesn't have enough oil in it. Right now it only has 5 qts. and it barely reads on the stick.:shrug:

Fill the pan to the full level on the stick, allowing for 1 qt for the filter and call it good. Do NOT put 5 qts. in and try to run it like that, as 1966conv said, you'll end up uncovering the pickup tube while driving.

If it were me, I'd do some measuring to see where the differences are and what your pan-to-pickup clearance is. I though all single sump (non-5.0) front-pickup (non-Bronco) pans were comparable, but evidently something's not the same with yours.

Do what D.Hearne said.

Your new oil pan has slightly larger dimensions so it will take a little extra oil. Fill till it is in the normal range and drive.