Oil pan/Timing Cover off - Should I replace chain/pump?

Big_B

Oct 22, 2003
Sacramento
So I am "renovating" a ~20 year old rebuilt 289, and ended up pulling the timing chain cover and oil pan becuase it was pretty much leaking from all over. I measured the deflection in the chain at 1/4", and the shop manual says 1/2" is maximum acceptable. Also it has had low oil pressure at the guage for years, but I am thinking a little of that is related to leaking all over.

It only has a new intake and 4bbl and headers, and I don't see a cam in the future. I just want it back on the road. The engine probably has ~40-60k on it. Compression was fine when I checked before the tear down. Oh and it is still in the car.

Should I go ahead and replace the timing chain becuase I am in there? What about the oil pump? From reading threads it seems like a high volume would be better than a high pressure.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi:
Considering the cost of the timing chain vs. the cost of the chain breaking it really is obvious. One point though. You say the engine is about 20 years old. I am not sure how you know that as an estimate, but you do not mention the water pump. What are you doing with it? If you are not putting it back, but are going to replace it make, sure you know which one you have. My 66 mustang 289 could come with one of two different kinds, and you cannot tell which one it is until it is off. If yours is the same situation, (and I know later 289s after about 1970 don't have that problem) be careful. The difference is with the backer/ timing chain cover plate.
Good luck.
Frank

If it is a stock pan, I wouldn't put on a high vol. or high press pump. The pump could suck all the oil out of sump before any gets a chance to get back down to the pan. Put a mechanical gauge o/p gauge on it temporarily a see what you have, the stock gauges are not too accurate.

Also check the water passage holes on your timing cover, if they are pretty pitted it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the timing cover either.

Thanks gang. Looking back I guess it's kind of an obvious answer.

<b>66overhaul</b>
Yup I'm going to change out the water pump. Thanks for the reminder about the different ones.

<b>65fast</b>
About the pitted thing - I noticed it was in pretty bad shape when I was cleaning it. Maybe I'll do that too, although those things aren't too cheap for what they are.

If it is a stock pan, I wouldn't put on a high vol. or high press pump. The pump could suck all the oil out of sump before any gets a chance to get back down to the pan.

Myth.

http://data.melling.com/TECH.php

Click on the High Volume pdf and read the document.

I run a melling hi-volume on a 393 stroker with a stock pan and I am fine. The pump can't pump any faster than the engines clearances. Period.