Oil Pressure Sensor

DarkProphet

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2002
Quakertown, PA
Hey guys. My oil pressure sensor is leaking. When I did my engine swap, I noticed that my pressure sensor was different then a fox setup, and also impossible to tighten, as its not a normal wrench or socket shape.

Heres what a fox setup looks like:
0900823d80194222.jpg

Notice how there is a piece that comes off the engine, then the sensor screws in vertically?

And heres what my sensor looks like:
wl2ps164003.jpg

Which is just screwed into the block.

Is it right to be screwed into the block directly? or should it be on a fitting like the first picture?
If it is to be screwed into the block, should I put some RTV, or Teflon tape or something on the threads?

Also, you can change the sensor without draining the oil right? I know the pressure drops to zero, but I didnt know if there was a check valve or somethign holding the oil up in the system.

Thanks alot!

• Sponsors (?)

The one you have is correct, and shouldn't require draining the oil. Just don't try to change it with the engine running, or you'll be wearing quite a bit of oil. I used some channel locks to tighten mine. I wasn't interested in going to buy the special socket for the pressure sensor from Ford. IIRC, I just used some Permatex Blue on the threads to seal it up.

The values from an aftermarket sending unit are probably different than the stock sensor, so it may diable your factory gauge. With a T fitting of some sort, you could probably keep both, but I haven't personally done it to give any advice in that area.

darkprophet, i just changed mine, i didn't have to have to change the oil but i did any way. I borrowed a special socket from autozone to remove the sensor and put some teflon tape when i installed the new one. no leaks yet.

dude dont use that electric oil sensor, ur wasting ur money, trust me.
go to autozone or somewhere and buy you a mechanical oil gauge, like $20, best $20 you will spend. the fittings that come with it screw into the hole, and you connect it, it easy, i did it in 30 min.

I bought a new one from autozone and it is much smaller in diamater than the old one. I was able to get in on with a standard deep well metric socket. The old one was a PITA! I had to take off the oil filter and the stud on the water pump and use a vice grip to get it loose.

MD

darkprophet, i just changed mine, i didn't have to have to change the oil but i did any way. I borrowed a special socket from autozone to remove the sensor and put some teflon tape when i installed the new one. no leaks yet.

I did the same thing last year, was still a major PITA with that special socket though, there's hardly any room to turn it. I want to **** on the engineer who put it there.