Engine Oil pump for 289

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by Rmoore45, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Rmoore45

Rmoore45 Member

My 67 289 has somewhat low oil pressure at idle when warmed up (about 15 psi). I would like that to be at least above 20 at idle when warm. I'm thinking about putting in a high volume oil pump to help with that problem. Looking for input on this idea.

What about a high pressure pump?

Thanks, Ranger

2. woodsnake

woodsnake Active Member

A high volume oil pump, will not increase your oil pressure. The oil pressure is made in the clearance between bearings. Freshening up your bottom end will help, over just installing a new oil pump.

3. Fstbk

Fstbk Member

Also, many don't like the added strain the oil pump driveshaft can see with a hv or hp pump, if that shaft fails bad things happen.

4. rbohm

Founding Member

dont use the high volume, or high pressure pumps on the street. bad things happen when you do. for instance the stock oil pump drive shaft likes to twist up into a pretzel, or the distributor gear likes to shed teeth. either way you are tearing down the engine to fix some damage.

5. Rmoore45

Rmoore45 Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I won't use the pump, I'll return the high volume pump and get a standard pump.