Oil pump installation Q

50FoxBodyGT

Aug 24, 2006
Memphis
I got my engine back from the machine shop yesterday and began installing components this evening. The shop did most the disassembly for me so I didn't get to personally take of many of the parts.... including the oil pump. They gave me a new pump and pickup. Where does the stick thing go? I see a hex that it fits into in the pump but where does the other end go??:shrug: Please help....

• Sponsors (?)

Put the pump shaft in with the washer facing the block. Its purpose is to keep the shaft from falling out and ending up in the oil pan when you remove the distributor for service.

Make sure you set the clearance between the shaft and the dist. Install the dist in the hole, put the shaft in the dist, mock up the oil pump you should be able to move the shaft up and down atleast .050" if you can not move it you need to move the washer down on the shaft a little or if it is binding in the dist you will will to trim the dist housing.

If everything is stock you should not have to touch the dist, I have only run into that with MSD dist.

Thanks, I'll check this evening after work. It is the stock distributor so hopefully, I'll be fine. Once I put the oil pump, pickup, and pan, on I can set it back into the car and start hooking stuff up. Exciting stuff!