oil pump???

willys1

Dec 2, 2003
New Jersey
Got a quick question about my 93 Lx 5.0, I changed the oil last week while the engine was still hot.It was only about 30 outside.When I put the oil in and started it up,the oil pressure wouldnt go up,and it started to knock a little.So I shut it off,and restarted it,the oil pressure went up and no knocks.The car only has 28'000 miles on it,could the oil pump be going?????Any help would greatly appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

willys1 said:
Got a quick question about my 93 Lx 5.0, I changed the oil last week while the engine was still hot.It was only about 30 outside.When I put the oil in and started it up,the oil pressure wouldnt go up,and it started to knock a little.So I shut it off,and restarted it,the oil pressure went up and no knocks.The car only has 28'000 miles on it,could the oil pump be going?????Any help would greatly appreciated!!
couple things. how long did it run when you started it up after the change? what weight of oil? 5w-30?
if the time it ran was short, and you didnt prefill the oil filter, it will take a few to maybe even 5-10 secs in that cold weather to pump, fill the filter, and get pressure.

that is what id bet if it has been fine since. otherwise, i would ditch that oil filter and try another. you may have a bad anti drainback valve, etc if this happens every morning. the filter is really the only variable from before you changed oil to now (oil can safely be discounted unless you did something strange).

good luck.