Oil separator review...

HISSIN50 said:
Does anyone know what the make-up of synthetic air tool oil is like (I never knew there was such a thing. Rob, is that what they meant when referencing synthetic oil?)?

Interesting. See now Andy's separator will be the only one that does not fall apart with synthetic. :D

I was meaning synthetic oil from your engine. If you use a blend, you should be ok...If youre not ok, it will only be about $12 wasted.

Hey, Maybe we can get a gripe (uh, uh I mean group) purchase on the oil separators. :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

94GTLaserRC said:
I was meaning synthetic oil from your engine. If you use a blend, you should be ok...If youre not ok, it will only be about $12 wasted.
Wait, Now simple me is confused. :) I did not even read the stickers on the CH separator. :bang:. But they are not made for engine oil, so that warning would be for air tool oil, right (for guys who use oilers on their compressors. I do, but it is after the separator)? That air tool oil is quite viscous (I bet it is a completely different make-up than synthetic motor oil's with PAO or Gp III+ basestock).

Hmmm. I run some home brew blends, so I will let you guys know if I see issues arise. Interesting. I drove the car today so I will go take a looksie (to check for any oil, but mostly to see if I can find where my PCV valve probably blew out and ended up. :D ).

HISSIN50 said:
I dont think he drives the car THAT often. :D

No way...I drive it everyday...it doesn't see the rain at all though...If I don't use it, that means I gotta drive the beater... :D

I ended up around 22 for MPG...I used (2) 20.00 fill-ups @7.89 gallons each time...drove 350 miles on that.......I don't really check my milage but it seemed lately it was woofing it pretty quick...adding the separator made an improvement...I drove to work last week, 32 miles round trip, no highway and used only 20.00 all week...thats an improvement I was using 5th and watching my vacumm gage to kinda keep it in the "good" zone for milage...couple weeks back I used 35.00...which kinda sucked, specially at 2.53 a gallon...Thats when I took notice and thought the tune was off or some chit......
I never really knew the milage beforehand, but did see a dramatic improvement...I still think its wack and can't really explain it...but I like it... :D It seemed like I was getting like 10-12 MPG by the way it was woofing it before...reminded me of my old 70 Trams-Am...That thing woofed gas...These cars are usually real good considering modding em...
I run 373's and I know the milage is a tad strong...I'm like and extra 1.5 miles on my roundtrip to work from the 355s I had before....I hit those speed traps where your milage is posted, and i'm like 2 MPH off...
All in all an improvement and I'll take it... :D

RIO5.0 said:
No way...I drive it everyday...it doesn't see the rain at all though...If I don't use it, that means I gotta drive the beater... :D
Whoops! My bad. Such a nice lookin ride - I figured it was a fair weather car and not a DD type ride. :doh:

I am doing our high desert testing (I am easily eclipsing the heat rating on the CH unit with these 100+*F days). :D I will let ya know if the clear plastic bottom falls/rots off. :rlaugh:

Andy, do you run synthetic oil? Do you recall warnings about the use of synthetics with your nice Steeda unit? I was just curious.
And thanks for the milage feedback. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
Andy, do you run synthetic oil? Do you recall warnings about the use of synthetics with your nice Steeda unit? I was just curious.
And thanks for the milage feedback. :nice:

I run a Syn mix...I seen nothing on the instructions about oil usage...

RIO5.0 said:
I run a Syn mix...I seen nothing on the instructions about oil usage...
Thanks Andy. :nice:

I found the warning sticker that Rob talked about. So maybe that is something different between the two separators (our cheapies and your correct piece). :shrug:

Back from the dead!!! I'm doing the seperator. I appreciate all the input Andy & JT. I'm making a bracket for the CH seperator.

Question ...... did we ever get a resolution on the synthetic thing? I have always ran Mobil1 fully synthetic oil. Do you guys run syn w/ seperator? I realize that the one Andy has is "made" for cars ..... and the one JT & I have is for air tools. The warning on it says not to use synthetic ..... but thats in reference to air tools. I wonder if it would hurt? If so ..... I wonder if there is a filter made for the CH that is safe?

Thanks again guys.

Justin, I have not run a full load of synthetic in it yet to tell ya. If I did not post it on this thread, I chatted with a long time machine shop guy who said they use separators with the same filter medium (also using sintered bronze on other separators) and they use PAO base stock (like M1) and noted no issues.

I know that is not the kind of answer that provides much confidence, but it is all I have researched on it so far.

Bump for more info/insight. (I am curious what the filter medium is in the Steeda units).

urban96 said:
the one from home depot is $10, so even if you have to replace it once a year, your coverd for 6years for the price of the steeda one

Well .... the filter in the CH seperator that I have can be replaced .... so I won't even have to spend that much.

I just don't want the filament to melt or whatever it does with synthetic oils (there has to be a reason for the warning), sending that material through the lines & into my intake. Just being precautious.