Oil Temperature Too Low

Jim Heaton

Dec 16, 2014
I have a supercharged 4.6 GT; 2001; putting out 362 hp at the rear wheels. I have a 7 quart Canton oil pan. My problem - my oil temperature runs at 140 to 170, even on the hottest days and after hard driving. On some days, it never reaches above 140. Am I doing harm to the engine? How can I get the oil temperature to be in 200 degree range? Will using 5 quarts do it?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, with a 7 quart oil pan, your oil temps are going to be lower than a 5 quart, because the more oil volume you have the cooler your oil temps are going to be, nothing wrong with that. If you really wanted to bring the temps up you could use less oil, but I don't believe the cooler oil temps are harming your engine in any way.

Well, with a 7 quart oil pan, your oil temps are going to be lower than a 5 quart, because the more oil volume you have the cooler your oil temps are going to be, nothing wrong with that. If you really wanted to bring the temps up you could use less oil, but I don't believe the cooler oil temps are harming your engine in any way.
Thanks for the response.

No problem and I've never heard of anyone having any issues such as that. If I remember correctly, condensation in the crankcase is a normal occurrence and the water is usually burned off and gets taken care of by the PCV. I know that there are plenty people running 7 and 8 quart oil pans with no problems, so I don't think you have anything to worry about :nice: