Ok found most of the twisted Oil Pump Shaft???

As you can see, just in time for Christmas! A Candy Cane Rod:
DSCN0505b.jpg

I found most of the Oil Pump Shaft, but I am unable to find the rest of it...

Any ideas where I might look for it? Cut apart the oil filter? Take apart the old oil pump? Tear the entire engine down to look for it??? Argggg.

Or maybe It came out with the oil (That is gone now)?

Suggestions?

Chad

• Sponsors (?)

I'd bet it's in the bottom of the pan or still stuck in the pump or dist. You might get a telescoping magnet (looks like an antenna mast with a magnet) and fish around the pan, if it's not removed from the car. It may also stuck in between the pickup screen and the metal cover on the pickup.

IIxs said:
I'd bet it's in the bottom of the pan or still stuck in the pump or dist. You might get a telescoping magnet (looks like an antenna mast with a magnet) and fish around the pan, if it's not removed from the car. It may also stuck in between the pickup screen and the metal cover on the pickup.
The engine is out and on a stand! I have the oilpan off and have looked around with no luck! I drained the oil before I pulled the engine, it could have easily fallen out during that process. I just want to make sure I do not put it back together with big chunks of metal floating around in it :(

Thanks for the suggestions IIxs,
Chad

Try blowing compressed air into the oil filter hole, and see if anything comes out the hole where the oil pump bolts on? The screen on the pump pickup will stop anything large from being sucked up. You really should blow out all the oil passages when the motor is fully disassembled, including the crankshaft holes,(a freshly turned crankshaft will often have nasty stuff in the oil holes) as a rule of thumb.

Sorry I forgot to post lastnight that I found it! I pumped air through the engine with no luck then I just turned the engine right side up and cranked it over a few times and the piece fell on the ground. I still have no clue where it was!
DSCN6707.jpg

Bearings still look brand new as do the cylinder walls. :nice:

Leaf Springs should come in today with my new shocks so I will have plenty of work to do tonight! Too bad I do not have a rear swaybar or traction bars yet :(

Chad

The 302 that came out of my CBII had a couple of twists in its oilpump drive shaft but it hadn't fallen out yet. So there are two types of factory 302 oil pump drive shafts...those that haven't fallen out, and those that are about to! ;)

I had a buddy that lost oil pressure in his 390 powered F150, and we found the oil pump drive shaft laying in the bottom of his oil pan all twisted up. So its not just a problem with the 302.