Ok guys, gimmie your best stories

t_chelle16 said:
-Tried replacing the quarter panel by putting it over what was left of the original panel and screwing it on w/three screws, nothing else (BTW, said quarter panel is for a 68 FB, mine's a 67 coupe). Pic 1 Pic2

-Chelle

I will to the day I die remember this story as the worst patch job ever! I remember when you found that and by god I still tell people that their car could be worse.....just listen to this one.....

I havent followed, but do you have any current pics of the cars progress?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh my this could take a while!

I will try to condense..
Found a wedding ring, lighter and a poloroid of the former owners. Just happen to recognise them from the pic one day at a local restaurant...
They were crying when I gave them the ring back.
Bought a 66 coupe with a "broken crank", while I was paying the guy my brother had checked out the car and left!!! after the paperwork was done and he returned with the truck (I thought he was getting tow chains or air for the tires) he pulls out a distributor and a battery. 6 yes 6 minutes later he starts the car and drives it home!
Bought a truck that had been for sale for 2 years once. It was a guys project and had put ALL his money into it one summer and it was nice looking.
But, it would not run! Owner could not figure out why. Initial price was $2500.
Next Feb it was $1800 but it still didn't run. I drove by every day and was interested but poor. Summer comes and it was now $1000 and still was not selling because it didn't run. Disappeared for a while so I forgot about it.
Then it reappeared....$800!!! 3 months later I scrounged some money ($500)
and was going to stop by and make an offer. Again my brother was there and inspected the truck while I wrangled with the guy.
Son was long gone and left Dad with a signed title and instructions."SELL IT!!!"
He took my offer of $400.00 and we went to get the trailer. Brother is grinning and won't tell me why. I do notice that he gets a hot battery though.
Load it up and stop at the Quicky-Stop for a DP and I see him putting the battery in and $5.00 of gas.
Without a word he motions me over to look under the hood. He calmly reaches over and yanks on the wire leading to the coil and drags it from under the edge of the valve cover.
They had grounded the wire to the engine!!! Taped it up and drove it home!
There was no way we were going to start the truck in the POs yard. That would have been too cruel. Cleaned it up and sold it 3 days later for $2000.
Bought my Ex-bosses car (Beautiful, sexy young lady) found a packet of erotic love letters. I had fun with that one!
Found a 100 bill behind an ashtray in a car I paid $200 for.
Helped clean up a mobilehome lot that had 2 cars on it. One was a 5th avenue and one was a Thunderbird. Got the 5th avenue home and discovered the title in the glove box...signed. It had a melted starter cable and was parked. Nice car..traded it for a IH lawn tractor, Yamaha motorcyle and $300.
Thunderbird didn't even make it home. A fellow bought it off the trailer for $500 to fix his Moms car that had hit a mailbox.
Valid pawn ticket for a 40 foot extension ladder for $15.
Pictures of a naked fat man about 50 years old wearing Devil horns and wings carrying a pitchfork...ick!
Bought a Triumph Spitfire that was in many boxes. After loading the boxes on the trailer and getting them home I had a box of old 78rpm records, 2 100 pound boxes of wax, a box of books and 2 boxes of small stuffed animals.
Bought my first car when I was 15...used my lawn mowing money for it.
$400 and it was mine!! push started it (starter was out) and drove it home!! Dad went ballistic and made me take it back and the guy would only give me $350 back.
Dad said I would kill myself in that old hotrod...he was probably right.
What did a 15 year old need with a 69 Shelby 428 fastback.
Bruce (TX)

about 25 years ago i went with my sister to see a cougar she was looking to buy. as we were looking at the car a couple of high-schoolers pulled up in a white 66 mustang coupe with blue stripes on it. i told the driver the car looked good with the stripes on it and did he have them put on. he told that they were "factory" stripes that were on all shelby mustangs. really i'm thinking to myself. what kind of shelby is it? i ask as there were no GT 350 markings on it and it was a coupe. why it's a shelby GT, very limited edition he told me. i need to look at this one so he proudly pops the hood and shows me the engine to prove it's a real shelby. the engine is a stock 289 2V with black finned shelby valve covers. i asked how he new for sure it was a shelby and he told me that the guy he bought him from gave him all the info and how he got it cheap for $6500. in late '70's that was a lot of money for a coupe. i just congratulated him on his buy and watched him use more of daddy's money to buy the '69 cougar my sister and i were looking at. the one with the bent front end. he paid top dollar for that car too.

was working on a C5 Corvette (97-04) and it had a body kit put on with self tapping screws, the door panels were epoxied on, it had red crushed velvet interior and neon lights all over it. This, not to mention a half-assed wiring job for everything and a nitrous kit. Full bolt on car and I was told to return it to stock...i really hate interior work

also had painted pieces inside, a very poorly painted aftermarket hood, extremely bad, cracked windshield, targa top that flew off doing 70mph, and a trunk full of uncovered different sized speaker boxes

oh...and home depot "custom" light weight carpet

ratio411 said:
I quietly walked away from these deals, so it's not really a "PO" story exactly...
Never found Boss 302 parts or engines swapped into the cars. It was always some ignorant big shot that had no idea what he was talking about. It never failed, the conversation goes like this:
Me: "I don't think that is a Boss like you said it was..."
Them: "Oh yeah it is! Look, it has a 4 barrel. It's a Boss."

Hey--I think we have encountered the same idiots!!! Only they were in California. Here is one of several examples--I remember a guy telling me he was pulling a "69 302 Boss motor" out of a car he was working on. He wanted $750 for it, so of course I had to check that deal out. Of course it is a 302, yes it is a 4 barrel, but there was nothing boss about it. When I told him it wasn't a boss motor he got very beligerant with me and yelled at me until I drove out of sight. Hard to bite your tongue dealing with that type of ignorance. :fuss: I am always suspicious when they call it a "302 Boss" versus a Boss 302--I will still tell them they are wrong though...

One day I found a 70 Chevelle in the local Buyers Express. Said it had recent paint job and only need some minor body work. So me and my pa go over to look at it. We get out to look at it and right away I notice the paint is all bumpy to the touch. Figured out it was painted with a roller, like you would paint your bedroom walls! Then we start looking underneath and at the quarter panels. I found an empty Mountain Dew can held to the inside of the rear quarter panel with wire. Don't ask me why. There are some strange people out there.

When I was feeling like I paid too much for my 66 ($3500)this april. I was tooling through the glove box and found a sales contract from a local classic car lot from 1999 totaling $4500 and behind I found the recipt from 2004 AAMCO for a new C-4. Needless to say I felt better. Needs paint

I have a story about the last PO on my 67. I bought it off of Ebay, actually my mother took my insurance money from my last car, tossed in some more money and bought it while I was on vacation. The past owner said it was 85% restored. It has black vinyl seats, and the holes in it, he covered with electrical tape so you could not see it from the outside. He said there was only a small place with rust and no bondo, I just got quoted 1200 to get rid of the rust on the body and another 1000 for the floor panels that need replacing. The engine supposedly only had 1200 miles on it, it blew up 2000 miles later, and the transmission was brand new, it died after 4000 miles. He said he lowered the front suension it turns out he used a hack saw to cut the springs and did a horrible job. The carpet under the floor mats had a 6 inch hole in it and was molding. and the last one is he installed the alarm himself and it worked for a few weeks, it didn't go off when I opened the doors, only when I closed them. and the power cable for the alarm ran across the parking brake, I pulled it the other day and whoosh, a fire under the hood. and to think when I got picked up by the PO at the airport, he was just coming from church and his son who was the one that drove it was a minister and talked it up to me. I don't trust the church to begin with, but I thought he would be honest. There were so many other things to list, this was not 10% restored and I am rebuilding everything. But at least I will know it is perfect with receipts for the next owner who will be my grandson one day.

The brother of a friend of mine had an 82 Mustang GT that he was sure had a Boss 302 in it.I did some motor work on it once and it took a lot of convincing that I wasn't ripping him off by replacing his worn 302 parts with regular 302 parts as his motor had "special Boss 302 parts".A guy I used to work with bought a "mechanics special" truck even though he was no mechanic.He asked me to come over and have a look at it as his stop/turn signals weren't working.It turned out every bulb was burnt out and when we replaced them they worked fine.He asked if I could have a look at his windshield wipers to see why they didn't work and when we popped the hood it was apparent the PO had re-wired the truck and every wire under the hood was the same blue color.I guess he had one big roll of blue wire and re-did everything with it.I was at the mall one day and when I got out of my truck I noticed a Ford Taurus with the hood up and the motor was cranking over and over and over.The owner and a passerby were frantically trying to get it to stop to no avail.I grabbed a wrench out of my glovebox and walked up and tapped it against the starter solenoid which was sticking and the cranking stopped.They both looked at me like I was a god.I told the owner to get a new starter solenoid and I walked away.