ok guys!! I need help with new motor!!

89RedFoxGT

Nov 2, 2006
jackson, TN
ok guys, well I finally got my motor together and put in the car... its stock with a B cam and heasers and CAI nothing special. well atfirst it had a bad miss to it, 2 injector wires got crossed... well the miss got better but #7 still wasnt firing and its got new plugs and wires... well the guy who fixed it said the valve wasnt close so after he shimmed it and all it still wasnt firing. he said it was low on compression to and after he got it shimmed it still wasnt firing so we replaced the injector. it fixed the problem, but now u can hear it rattlin when i get on it at all and its still idleing a little high at about 1100... what would cause the valve not to be closing? and I'm thinking it didnt need to be shimmed it was just the injector all alone but he said he did a compresson check on it... what would make the valve not close with just a B cam? the pushrods are all stock and we even took em out side by side and there the same lenght... any ideals would be appreciated and the car just seems weak for some reason.... thanks guys !!

• Sponsors (?)

also guys, my left o2 sensor wire is gone! no were to be found... I dunno were it got cut off but were an I trace it from? if it did get cut or torn off Can I get a prong and re run the wires to it so it'll read??? sorry for all the questions.. I'm some what new to stangs even know I've had mine over a year!!

I'm assuming that you had the stock heads rebuilt too? Stock rockers, valves, etc?

If rocker was tightened down too much it could cause the valve to stay open.

By Left O2 sensor wire, you mean driver's side right? It rides along the frame rail and connects by the K-member if I recall correctly.

You can get new pigtails at www.fordfuelinjection.com

Can you perform a leak down test and post the results? I think you can borrow a leakdown tester from autozone for free.

Good luck, don't give up on it :nice:

the motor only has 72,000 miles on it. I just pulled the whole front off the motor and put the front of the mustang motor on the Tbird block and put the cam in it and thats it... I'm just guessing its the rockers rattlin were he shimmed it. I dunno if he really did a compresson check on it or not but it was the injector that was bad.. I have more stock rockers I can put on there if needed... It sounds like he stuck an old 7.3 powerstroke in there rattling and carring on lol. and yes the driver side o2 plug. I'm gonna search it over again tomorrow and try and run the wires back to see were the damn thing went!!! as far as the leak down test... I could see what i can do but not sure on that. also the car was never really put in time. all I ever did was put the #1 pluyg up sit the dizzy in there and turned it till it idled half ass but now it idles at about 1100 when its warm?? I guess I justr need to start on one thing and fix it instead of triyng to fix it all at once.

if anyone thinks it would be a good ideal I could pull the valve cover off and take out the shimms and torque them down to specs. he says he thinks its in the cam its self is why its keeping the exhaust valve open????

Well first off i dont think that the cam alone would be making just one valve not close. Chances are there is another problem. Do you are saying that you are running stock thunderbird heads right now. And they have 72k miles on them?

You also need to get the timing right. You need to bring piston # 1 up to TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE! Then stab the dizzy with the rotor pointing toward # 1 on the cap. This can by quite finicky...you need to be precise because one tooth forward or back is going to make it difficult to get the timing right without running into issues. Timing is key...have you gotten a timing light on there. Most cars will at least idle anywhere from 10 atdc to 20 btdc so you could be anywhere. Chances are if you cant get the idle to come down that the base timing is far too advanced. Advanced timing will increase idle speed and the opposite is true for retarded timing.

I think you should also take the shims out of that one rocker...and see if that clears up any of your problems....if it makes no changes then i wasnt needed and the lifter is compensating.

You also need to figure out that O2 sensor problem as its the only way the computer has any clue as to whats going on with the A/F ratio. Good luck man

can someone tell or show me a pic from were the wire comes from that runs to the driver side o2 sensor?? I've looked the car over and over and over looking for it, I figured i tucked it back somewere but its just gone lol any ideals?? and on the timing.. i'm gonna get a guy to come over and put it in time. i dont have a timin light and I've never used one either. After I get it in time and the o2 plug fixed it should be all fixed besides the rockers... not sure what I should do about them... Should I just take the shim out and see how it dose? I can do a compresson check on it. what psi should it be at?

Ok guys. heres a good update! I found the driver side o2 plug and plugged it up. got the temp sensor plugged back up on the intake(goes to the heater core.) and put 2 stock rockers back in and its fine now. now on to another problem... we cleaned the TB and all out and now it idles at about 1100-1200 rpms and then it drops down to about 7-800 and smokes a little like its overloading?? then picks back up? what should I replace or clean on it first thats most likly causing it?? I went and read some of the surgin idle checklist and .. blah ill have the car turned in to a spaceship or something readin all of that... lol on the other hand.. the car has plenty of power.. i drove it down the road and its pretty stout... thanks for the help guys!! I'll be glad when I get it running right! i'm ready to go put some miles on it!!!

I got a upper intake off a 93 im gonna see if the sensors are the same and switch a few around and see what that does... ahhh man this surging idle checklist is gonna kill me haha, I dont have a problem reading it I just somewhat get carried away reading and then when I get done... I'm sitting here trying to remember what the heck I just read and what it was about haha