Ok I know you've all seen this before but here I go again

Ok I apologize in advance for this but I just turned 19 yesterday I'm sick of waiting to find a turbo motor... :bang: ...I've searched every junkyard around, autotrader.ca, and even ebay (some guy wanted $800 US plus shipping and he didn't even know whether it ran or not)

I have spent the last two years studing up on Mustangs, especially the 2.3N/A and 2.3T. My question is I want to use my existing block from my 91 but I've heard the dual spark head is useless for this. I wanted to rebuild my block anyways so should I get an 87-89 block with a single spark head? tap a hole in the oil pan for the turbo oil return line. Now if I find a turbo comp I have to change the MAF to VAM and I think the MAP to I can't remember what it's called. But if I can't find a turbo comp, can I run 5.0 MAF and get an EEC tuner or a chip?

The other thing is I was gonna do is get the stock forged kit for the 2.3T. From what I've studied I've found that the pistons and rods are the same size crankshaft bearings are slightly different. So if I bearing match the crank I should be okay right? Oh yeah what about the compression I think the N/A is 9:5:1 or 9:0:1 and the Turbo is 8:0:1. Would using dish pistons fix this? or do I have to deck the head or block?

I would greatly appreciate any help guys

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

red_91_LX said:
My question is I want to use my existing block from my 91 but I've heard the dual spark head is useless for this. I wanted to rebuild my block anyways so should I get an 87-89 block with a single spark head?
Your block is fine.

red_91_LX said:
Now if I find a turbo comp I have to change the MAF to VAM and I think the MAP to I can't remember what it's called.
A BAP. All you do is remove the vacuum line from it.

red_91_LX said:
The other thing is I was gonna do is get the stock forged kit for the 2.3T. From what I've studied I've found that the pistons and rods are the same size crankshaft bearings are slightly different. So if I bearing match the crank I should be okay right?
Yes.

red_91_LX said:
Oh yeah what about the compression I think the N/A is 9:5:1 or 9:0:1 and the Turbo is 8:0:1. Would using dish pistons fix this? or do I have to deck the head or block?
The forged pistons for the 2.3 turbo would be dished already.

The dished pistons will fix the compression problem. Whatever you do dont mill the head or block unless they are warped (very unlikely) or that will raise your compression. Thats why NA guys mill the hell out of their stuff, to raise compression. As for the comp if your going to spend that kind of money and want to do it right (which it sounds like you want to do both) then just get a stand alone system. I dont know much about these but I believe the Holley Commander 950 system has just about become the norm for TF guys.

Using the DIS setup is a pain in the ass from what I hear, Research it at turboford.org . I dont think its worth the hassle, there are plenty of guys making plenty of power with single plugs and a dist.
At some point you have to ask yourslef a couple questions..

1) What do you want the car to do? Are you looking for a 200-250 HP nice driveable car that will still blow by ricers? OR a 250+ car that screams like hell in between repairs....

2)Do you actually have the knowledge and experience to piece together a turbo car system? There are all kinds of variables that the FORD ENGINEERS almost got perfect. Personally I'd start with a stock set-up and get to know it. I have had my turbo engine in the car for over a year and might have had it running perfect (by perfect I mean I dont worry that something will FU when I floor it) for 3-4 weeks. I am inexperienced and listend to guys that are also inexperienced as to what to mod.

Just my point of view..

-TG

P.S.-I'm 19 and know everything as well.

IMO your best bet in this situation is to follow the available "turbo swap" directions in terms of wiring, computer, injectors, vam, etc. and use your block with forged pistons dropped into it. You can use the dual plug setup or convert to distributor...either will work.

What all has to be done to convert a 91-93 to turbo, the turbo, computer work, boost controller or is it more than that(becides changing the pistons and such).

JESUSGOD!!! repinning that is something that I am not capabul of doing.

Might as well as find a wrected 2.3T and spend the 4K on doing a swap at a local shop....no I wander which will be cheaper?