Ok, I want to put this to rest.

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
I owned an 89 Gt. It had over 130k miles on it. My friends always keep telling me that it had more Hp than I would always say. They keep thinking I was around 250! That is ridiculous! The mods were, a mac cai (which is nothing basically), shorty headers, o/r h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, and underdrive pulleys. My car was a manual.

I would always tell them that 5.0's are rated at 225 at the flywheel and at wheels it's about 190 with a manual. With the exhaust that is a maybe 10hp gain. The pulleys and cai are probably 4-8hp. So, I figured around 200-205hp. Am I right or what?

• Sponsors (?)

I am really baffled right now, for I just found another stanger that has a 4.6 with similar mods as my old 4.6. It has 248hp, but mine didn't have a tuner. How much hp would that do? My old 4.6 had o/r x pipe and flows. Now, how in the heck did I barely win 2 out of 3 times to my old 5.0? And he wasn't the best driver. I have been practicing launches and shifting since I was sixteen, and I have become good at it. I am a little rusty now for sure. My old 4.6 had at least 30 hp more than the 5.0. I do remember, now, that I raced a 99^ GT in my old 5.0. In which we were neck and neck.

2tone5.0 - You would be surprised how much that goes on...

I do not believe in factory freaks. I do believe in variants of 5-10 bhp, if that, from the showroom.

As the cars get older, with different owners, tuned condition, and overall condition, it can vary.

Your friends just have a wrong sense of what is going on, that is all:)

250 is doubtful but i wouldnt say 225-230 wouldnt be possible... Advanced timing, good fluids, if it hasnt been beat to death its whole life its prolly better also... I guess it depends on the car and how its running... My friend claims his lt1 has 320 hp yet it feels no where near 100+ horsepower stronger or seem all that faster. The condition makes a big difference.