Ok, need some info about U/D pulleys!

• Sponsors (?)

^ Ok lol...um WHY?

Everyone says that piggy back sucks, but noone has a good reason besides the fact that the steedas and other non PB systems look better. :shrug: Is there some defect or possable problem that could occour? Am I missing something about the piggybacks? Does the piggyback make less hp or something? :shrug:

All I can say is that you made a mistake. Steeda would have been the way to go. I have had mine for 10 months without any problems. I picked up 2 tenths and 3 MPH with them. Not to bash, but you came here for info and advice, the majority said stay away from piggy backs and you still bought them....I am confused :shrug:

mcmmotorsports said:
All I can say is that you made a mistake. Steeda would have been the way to go. I have had mine for 10 months without any problems. I picked up 2 tenths and 3 MPH with them. Not to bash, but you came here for info and advice, the majority said stay away from piggy backs and you still bought them....I am confused :shrug:

I agree. Sounds like he already had his mind made up. I went with Steeda because back in 2001, I was told Piggyback pulleys shreded serpentine belts and cars that ran them had charging problems.

You cannot wrong with a company like Steeda.

Here's why I don't like the idea of piggyback pulleys. Linearity.

If you consider the driveline of the serpentine as a straight line (side view of the pulleys while in motion), skewing that line with even the slightest notion of in/out (or left/right when viewed from the side) puts extra stress on the belt and can chew it to shreds. No matter how good an installation you might do, there is still room for manufacturer defects or off-target tolerances in their pieces. Also, you may be mounting your piggyback pulley to another pulley that might already have some degree of "un-trueness" and might add fuel to the fire of being out of line.

My 2 cents....

forpit2000gt said:
yes

never had or even saw a problem with piggyback pulley. I have only used and installed March. The belt will line up fine.

Then I hope hotmustang331 has the same effects you have experienced. I've yet to see a piggyback application I liked or saw work for over 6 months. :shrug: Maybe they were installed by idiots in all four instances...

git-it-83 said:
Then I hope hotmustang331 has the same effects you have experienced. I've yet to see a piggyback application I liked or saw work for over 6 months. :shrug: Maybe they were installed by idiots in all four instances...
Like many,Not all Parts that fail, The installation is and will continue to be a problem. I see a lot of different problems with cars that people did themselves.
If Steeda pulleys had been competitive in price, I may have purchased them. I just get tired of hearing how great Steeda is. They are a good company, just not the best out there.
I installed March UD pulleys and BBK TA for what Steeda pulleys cost.

i've heard bad stories about Piggy back UD's over the years...but I have a friend who has had the March pulleys on his car since 97 without incident. I on the other hand chose to go the Steeda route just because I trust their product and have heard very little negative about them.(most being from install errors)

Added ? 4 Steeda,

My friend and I installed our Pullies from Steeda the same day, only he did not install the alt. pully because"the size diff. isn't that diff."

Have anyone of you guys heard that before?... p.s. I have had the Steeda pullies on for two years w/ no problems!

Thanks for the help.

I wonder how long you will be able to keep that avatar cryptic LOL.

Yes, i had my mind made up because noone gave any real data as to why piggybacks were SO bad....and most importantly NOONE answered my question about the steeda balancer not doing as good of a job as the stocker. That is VERY important because i run my car to 6200ish on every shift, and the limiter is at 6500 (which I have hit before)...I dont want anything that could jack my engine.
And I have march on my 66, FLAWLESS...those things are machined to perfection lol. The only thing that could be uneven is my stock balancer, if it was, my stock pulley would be wabbling...but its not, so I know that the stocker is true.(as in even)

Guys, I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT, KEEP IT COMING.

Well,

According to Steeda's adv. the replacement dampener is surrounded by injection molded material wich is the equivilant of the oem part.
The only problem I had was pressing it back on, I had to create my own press using threaded rod and a number of spacers.

no

No, Im not the seller of those Ebay pulleys. I just have seen him list ones for the 4.6 on there in the past because I was going to order one myself. I emailed him and asked him if he could make a larger one (ie Cobra R style) but he said no, he just makes stock sized ones, but lightweight. Also I have called a few dealerships and emailed that one guy on svtperformance that sells Ford parts. NOBODY can get that Cobra R pulley.

FYI I had steeda U/D pullies on my 99GT and they seemed to work fine, but my belt was NEVER quiet after that. I replaced the belt, and tensioner and the thing still squeaked. It was totally silent before the Steedas too. In the end I ended up spraying some belt dressing about 2-3 times a week on it to get it to shut up. Kinda sucked because it's a mod that DOES work. I got some noticable low end torque with it, but the noise was not a fair trade IMHO.

cryptic said:
According to Steeda's adv. the replacement dampener is surrounded by injection molded material wich is the equivilant of the oem part.
The only problem I had was pressing it back on, I had to create my own press using threaded rod and a number of spacers.

THERE we go, right there. It has the same internal and overall design as oem....BUT IT IS SMALLER which they dont tell you....meaning that its not as good as stock. Thanks man. :nice:

anothergt said:
What is the down side to PB's? Can anyone say what it is, I mean other than just saying that Steadas are better.

Most people that have Steada, love Steada, and that is fine. Like many things , if you have something and it works for you, then you recommend it to others. My problem is that some on here think that it's the only way to go. Will a Steada lover please list an experience you had that you saw a problem with PB style pulleys. So far ,one person on here listed an experience that they had a squeaking problem with Steada. No problems listed for the people that actually use PB style pulleys. Neither yields more power , they look different and one uses stock dampener. Both are good quality.

Aesthetics might be a reason not to PB.

Like I mentioned before, installations of both are going to be important and results are going to be dependent on how competent the installer is.

My opinion is not to piggyback. I'm no Steeda lover by any means, it's just they offer a nice pulley setup that doesn't require reusing parts.