OK really confused now

Sorry to bug again, but I'm checking out the common question thread up top and was reading about the explorer intakes being GT-40 which from what I read is about the same as the Cobra? Also can see that they can be picked up fairly inexpensive.

Now I clicked on the link provided on install, and at the bottom it shows a graph. On that graph if I'm reading correctly it shows the Cobra to have more gain than the Explorer?? Am I reading it correctly.

Now I have always wanted the Cobra due to the visual, but am I reading correctly that it may be better performance wise as well? I know it will cost me more, but I may if lucky hold off and find one for sale somewhere???

• Sponsors (?)

The difference between the 93 Cobra and 94-95 is the upper intake elbow (the 94-95 has one and the 93 Cobra does not). The difference between the 93-95 Cobra and Explorer is the the upper. The Explorer upper is totally different shaped than the Cobra. Google images of a 1993 Cobra intake vs. a Explorer intake and you'll see the difference.

But what about on a performance stand point? I also was reading that on this Explorer one I have in the garage that I'm gonna have to block some things off and then tap some holes for sensors to be relocated?

Is this the same for the Cobra, or does that have all that sort stuff in place for a better direct fit?

I'm ok to spend a little more for a better item. I know that replacing the heads is still the way to go, but that would be something to save for over the next year (next tax season)

The real-world difference in power production between a GT40, an Explorer and a Cobra is negligible. You will not be able to tell the difference. They all share the same runner configuration on the lower and the uppers have cosmetic differences. If you've already bought an Explorer, just have it bead blasted and paint or powdercoat the upper so it looks nice. Stay away from the Cobra intakes that are currently sold new unless you like dealing with oil consumption issues.

See I knew I read something about an oil issue with the Cobra's.

Yes I already have the Explorer and the machine shop here told me $50 to clean it all up real good and then paint it black. I think I want the black over the polished look. .

All the pics in the common question thread are not showing. Is there something that I need to check on this intake set before spending the $$ or painting. Another words I want to be sure this is the correct style for me to use.

I guess a 65mm TB will be what is needed?

Again thanks for all the help, I know these are basic ???'s for most of you. Mustangs are not new to me, but modding is.

You're comparing a green bell pepper to a yellow one. They're basically the same thing, they just look and taste slightly different, and it's a moot point anyway because neither have the kick of a jalapenio. Keep what you have and be happy. Run a 70mm tb, and google the rest of your questions.

Come on now NikwoaC, that seemed a little harsh. the reason any of us join any forums like this is to gain insight from those who have more knowledge on certain topics. If we all wanted to dig through piles of Google results, hoping the author knows what he is doing, we wouldn't be on forums like this.

To the OP, I would have the machine shop port the upper and lower. Should be fine to run. I never had any problems out of my Explorer intake that was on my '87. Had it ported along with the GT40 heads i got with it. Ran awesome for the $$ i had in it

You're comparing a green bell pepper to a yellow one. They're basically the same thing, they just look and taste slightly different, and it's a moot point anyway because neither have the kick of a jalapenio. Keep what you have and be happy. Run a 70mm tb, and google the rest of your questions.

Thanks for the input from all of you. Including this reply. I have googled my questions and quite often it brings me back to our forums here. How ever not every one's are the same. This is why I asked here. I don't know how really to take your comment about going to google with the rest of my questions? If your meaning that in a polite way, then cool.
If it was not, well I am sorry I thought this was a discussion forum for folks to come in and shoot the crap and or ask questions? I am not trying to come off as being a smart arse.

Reactions: 1 user
Come on now NikwoaC, that seemed a little harsh. the reason any of us join any forums like this is to gain insight from those who have more knowledge on certain topics. If we all wanted to dig through piles of Google results, hoping the author knows what he is doing, we wouldn't be on forums like this.

To the OP, I would have the machine shop port the upper and lower. Should be fine to run. I never had any problems out of my Explorer intake that was on my '87. Had it ported along with the GT40 heads i got with it. Ran awesome for the $$ i had in it

Harsh? I thought I was being funny. So much for my vegetable analogy.

What I'm trying to say is:
1. This topic is as old as time itself,
2. As per #1, there is much more info already on the internet about what is needed for the install than one single thread could hope to achieve, and
3. He shouldn't beat himself up over a horsepower or two when there are much more serious intakes available out there anyway.

I see you're relatively new here. Let me know how sarcastic your posting becomes when you've been here 5+ years and you've seen posts like this a jizzillion times. We're all just having a little fun. If he wants to talk about Exploder intakes, let's talk about Exploder intakes.

Harsh? I thought I was being funny. So much for my vegetable analogy.

What I'm trying to say is:
1. This topic is as old as time itself,
2. As per #1, there is much more info already on the internet about what is needed for the install than one single thread could hope to achieve, and
3. He shouldn't beat himself up over a horsepower or two when there are much more serious intakes available out there anyway.

I see you're relatively new here. Let me know how sarcastic your posting becomes when you've been here 5+ years and you've seen posts like this a jizzillion times. We're all just having a little fun. If he wants to talk about Exploder intakes, let's talk about Exploder intakes.

Yes i am relatively new here. I have been a member of a different forum for the past 3 years but got tired of the atmosphere and really enjoyed the one here. And yes, in my 3 short years on mustang forums i too have seen this same question a jazillion times. but HE possibly hasn't. I actually found your vegetable analogy funny, but just you tellin him to google the rest of his questions seemed messed up to me. yes it is a topic that is as old as time itself, but it's new to him. Maybe he wants advice about HIS setup, on HIS build to make sure he gets it right the first time. wasn't tryin to be an arse, just thought the google comment was a little out of place.

Not coming off as an arse. Again I have had Fox's for years, ever since I graduated out of high school 91. I love these cars, but never got into modding them. Just drove them for what they were. Now I have had this car for years and it has been the best one I have owned yet. Now that is over the mile mark I want to do some things, but in the same time not go over board. I drive my fox daily about 25 miles ea way to and from work. I'm sure I'm not the only one that may of found this topic useful.

I did go to the FAQ in the forums and read up on this, but like I stated the pics will not show for some odd reason. So I am not trying to be a post whore. I am not new to this site. I have been a member for quite some time. I just don't post, or visit every day. .

So I can joke around with the best. TRUST me. However not all forms of joking are funny, sometimes they are just tasteless.

I encourage anyone to post what ever they want along with questions, simple or not. Whether it has been posted a jizzillion times. I used the search box and went through quite a few threads and to be quite honest confused myself after reading so much info.

NikwoaC, think back... You were in my shoes one day in the past.

Again thanks for the responses.