Ok seriously... wtf?

BigHairyMonkey

Founding Member
Jun 18, 2003
Houston (Bellaire) TX
2 Things been pissin me off lately so im gonna rant:

1. I put in a brand new FRPP ADJ cable when i put in the rebuilt t5 2 months ago (also have a steeda QUAD). The clutch pedal was nice and firm and grabbed about midway. Couple of days later it started grabbing towards the floor... so wtf, i take it back to my buddy that did the install he says the cable is breaking in and stretching out so he adjusted it again and it was fine. Once again about a month later its starting to grab at the bottom again and the peddle feels mushy. wtf:nonono: Is the cable stretching again? If i take it back to him and have him tighten it some more its prob gonna snap isnt it?

2. Does anyones gas pedal kind of stick right before you get into it. Like sometimes im driving around and the pedal travel is smooth, sometimes i go to take off and it gets kinda stuck before it starts traveling and makes for some gay ass nucking and bucking on my part (and stern look from the old lady:nonono: ). I took a look and its not really getting caught on the carpet or anything. If i did the gas pedal mod would help with this gas pedal "stickyness"?

• Sponsors (?)

can't help u with the clutch, but maybe with the sticky gas pedal thing...
try adjusting you're idle set screw. mine did this, and it helped. i raised my idle a bit and it went away. when i'd lower it, it the sticking would come back. you could also try tome TB cleaner. I think it's probably got something to do with the tb plate sticking when it's in the fully closed position.

Yeah, the plate could be sticking, try some cleaner. It not, try to spray some lube in the cable housing....I have been in some Mustangs with that stiff gas pedal...it sucks....and you are not alone!!

Maybe the adjustment nut is getting loose, was it lock tited last time? Personally adjustable is not the way to go, I use a stock ford cable and upr firewall adjuster.

would a stock ford cable reach with my steeda quad? I heard the reason why people go adj cables is becuase the stock one doesn't reach with aftermarket quadrants. I also dont have a firewall adjuster so no adjustment nut:shrug:

Adjustable cables suck ... The heat in the engine compartment kills them. They are nice and light for about a month, then its back to crap... Get a factory cable with a firewall adjuster if anything...

and if you can avoid messing with the idle screw, do.. its just going to cause problems later.

Adjustable cables suck ... The heat in the engine compartment kills them. They are nice and light for about a month, then its back to crap... Get a factory cable with a firewall adjuster if anything...

and if you can avoid messing with the idle screw, do.. its just going to cause problems later.

I as well as many others seem to have had good luck with the frpp adjustable cables. I'd say just adjust it again and write it off as cable stretch.

As far as the throttle sticking issue goes...I'd venture to say you need to clean your throttle body. Take it off and completely dissasemble it...including removing the blade itself. clean the living hell out of everything and throw it all back together.

i'm curious too! i'm not a mechanic by any means, but isn't that why it's there? i just know that when adjusted my screw a little, the sticking went away. i readjusted the tps after.... how does this hurt anything?

i'm curious too! i'm not a mechanic by any means, but isn't that why it's there? i just know that when adjusted my screw a little, the sticking went away. i readjusted the tps after.... how does this hurt anything?

It's there to set the disired idle rpm. Everything is fine and dandy from the factory...but over the years carbon deposits here...mods there...and the idle rpm may not be what it originally was. By the way...after you adjust the idle set screw there is no need to readjust the tps as it re-zeros upon startup.

i always clean out my TB, MAF, and my IAC with carb or brake cleaner pretty much at every oil change. try that for the sticking. the cable sounds pretty gay to me. may need to get another one, perhaps from ford or some other company.

This happened to me after my intake swap and i embarrased to say that the throttle bracket (not sure on technical name) on the outside of the throttle bracket was getting caught on a wire LOL. Make sure there is nothing in it's way.

It's there to set the disired idle rpm. Everything is fine and dandy from the factory...but over the years carbon deposits here...mods there...and the idle rpm may not be what it originally was. By the way...after you adjust the idle set screw there is no need to readjust the tps as it re-zeros upon startup.

You sure about that :scratch:

If so then yeah that was my only objection