Ok, So Maybe 5.0

Davedacarpainter

Chicks can make things hard if they’re inspired...
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
The yard owner has this 5.0 '83 LX in his yard. I know it's a t-top as well. I know.....I know....
IMG_1758.JPG

But what if i can get this year correct 5.0 drivetrain from this car and put it in my blue car?

What do i need to grab besides the entire drivetrain, wiring harness? What else?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Look around for a double hump crossmember from a newer car. That one won't have it, but you'll need it for dual exhaust.

Reactions: 1 users
Hell, it's just speculation at this point anyhow. I don't have extra cash.

I was just thinking how nice a 5.0 would be in the blue car.

I mention that particular 5.0 just because it's from the same year.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess with it. You may as well put the 4/6 cal it came with in there if you want to be period correct. Otherwise, get the above mentioned explorer motor.

Reactions: 1 users
Adding an EFI 5.0 to a car that never had it is no small project in itself. Most of us can just drop in a exploder 5.0 and plug it up to wiring already there. He's going to need to find a late model EFI harness, make sure it's all year specific and compatible, a EFI ecu (which aren't cheap these days) and then all the little odds and ends for an EFI engine he won't have on hand.

Honestly,. the only way I'd 5.0 swap your car is if you could take that one home and use it as a side-by-side doner that you can go back to and take all the little wires, clips, vac fittings, etc that you will need. If you need to pull the drivetrain in the yard, you really need to take everything otherwise you'll be missing one silly little item, and then spend 2 years trying to find it somewhere in a junkyard in a 1983 5.0 that rarely pops up for parts.

Adding an EFI 5.0 to a car that never had it is no small project in itself. Most of us can just drop in a exploder 5.0 and plug it up to wiring already there. He's going to need to find a late model EFI harness, make sure it's all year specific and compatible, a EFI ecu (which aren't cheap these days) and then all the little odds and ends for an EFI engine he won't have on hand.

Honestly,. the only way I'd 5.0 swap your car is if you could take that one home and use it as a side-by-side doner that you can go back to and take all the little wires, clips, vac fittings, etc that you will need. If you need to pull the drivetrain in the yard, you really need to take everything otherwise you'll be missing one silly little item, and then spend 2 years trying to find it somewhere in a junkyard in a 1983 5.0 that rarely pops up for parts.

I know this may come as a shock to you and hard to fathom, but my money is on Dave running a carb on that 5.0.. being those model cars were carbed. What say you, Dave?

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm. I don't know why I automatically assumed he'd go EFI. Guess I'm just pre-programmed.

I agree 100%, I guess I would stay carbed as well in that situation. Probably try and model the 1985 setup, but with the exploder engine and a good intake and carb.

Dave, get the whole car....then sell the shell to one of us onlookers.

There are no t top cars around here.