Ok to run open exhaust ??

Dave2000GT

Oct 3, 2005
Seattle
Right now I'm in the process of taking off my MAC offroad H pipe and putting back on the stock pipe to pass emmissions testing...

I gotta admit I'm pumped about the possiblity of doing a little driving with open exhaust (no mid pipe) for a few minutes just to hear the RAUNCHY sound...

Is this a good idea ??

• Sponsors (?)

Kilgore Trout said:
It will not hurt anything, it will be very loud.

I understand it will be extremely loud.. thats the reason I want to give it a try... Good to hear that it won't hurt anything.. I've heard somewhere that open exhuast can damage your valves.. but I think that would only be after long periods of time.

There has been always a slight chance of "floating the valves" but iv worked on plenty crate engines that are on the floor with it just going out the headers. I took off my x-pipe yesterday to put my old h-pipe on to smog (passed!) and i tried it w/out mid-pipes sounded great! go ahead

Shouldn't hurt a thing. I wouldn't suggest going out and running the crap out of it though. Also don't believe what you hear from the rednecks who think that straight pipes or no pipes create more HP.

soonerfever said:
Shouldn't hurt a thing. I wouldn't suggest going out and running the crap out of it though. Also don't believe what you hear from the rednecks who think that straight pipes or no pipes create more HP.
Yeah unless you have forced induction you need pack-pressure for your N/A engine. but if it's forced induction cut it as short as possible, my bro ran his turbo supra from a dump off his down pipe and picked up 3psi

CobraRed_96_GT said:
Yeah unless you have forced induction you need pack-pressure for your N/A engine. but if it's forced induction cut it as short as possible, my bro ran his turbo supra from a dump off his down pipe and picked up 3psi
**backpressure**

Dave- did you get a sound clip?

hotmustang331 said:
^ :scratch: Ill try to find out the specifics...but I can assure you that cold air isnt being sucked out of your tail pipes and going all the way back up to your engine :lol:

Hes talking about having open headers... that way its only inches from your outlet to your valves