OK, When I fix my current problem, whats next?

cleck673

Feb 6, 2004
Mods, if this is not the right place, please remove or move it... sorry. I run 5 forum sites also and I know the feeling.

This car is nice looking, but not the best.... My plans so far, redo interior, rewire electrical, stereo....These things I think I can handle and know what to do. UNder the hood, no clue. THis is the car : LINK

When it is running, it is sweet as hell sounding and pretty darn fast already. I am told that it has Flowmaster exhuasts. Another thing I have already lined up is converting it back to 5 speed. (Someone made it auto)

Looking for suggested modifications and why? IF you could tell me what I need and provide a little explaination of what the mod will do. I am a total newbie. I bought this car to learn and play. (Kinda like your dads did with the 57 Chevy)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

One MAJOR concern with any 86 5.0 is that they came with flat top pistons with NO valve reliefs... You can't put any decent cam in there, or install any good heads without changing the pistons or flycutting them. Also, the black crap coming out the exhaust... Basically it's carbon build up in the exhaust and chances are that there was a little water or condensation in the exhaust and when he/you started it, it just blew the water out along with some carbon.. No biggy.. I bet the car has an off road (read no cats) pipe. The connector there that goes to the A/C should be around there somewhere.. It's the power for the clutch for the compressor. Just look around and see if you can find the wire.. if not, you can get that connector at a local junk yard, and you can probe any loose wires for power with the a/c on full blast, you will have power... and without a/c, no power...

Another thing... I like my 5 speed... But I've gone through 6, yes 6!!! T-5s... If you're gunna put a 5 speed in it, put a Tremec 3550 or TKO.. or a new ( and oh my GOD overpriced) T-500 or T-600. I finally bought a 3550 and it's already had to be rebuilt.. My next step is an auto. A nice strong C-4 or a built AOD. You might want to consider keeping the auto and building it up... It will last longer, and you'll never miss a shift. :)

Nick

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I was wondering about the cam thing. I see many of you guys pics with edeebrook and other things. What difference do they make?

BTW, if anyone is wondering, this car is in Alabama and was got for a little over 2k, so I have a little bit of a budget to work with.

:nice: cleck673- nice looking GT! Most of the restoration stuff you need can be gotten here: http://www.50resto.com/ Don't worry about the posting ediquate- as long as you aren't trying to sell us dental insurance we're pretty easy in here. (most of us) If it can even remotely be considered a technical question, it'll slide.
Stang8URMPRT said:
One MAJOR concern with any 86 5.0 is that they came with flat top pistons with NO valve reliefs... You can't put any decent cam in there, or install any good heads without changing the pistons or flycutting them.
Actually, I believe Trick Flow makes a decent size head/cam package that will bolt on with those pistons. That twisted wedge principle is pretty impressive. However, one thing you will need to address is the speed density setup which is not very cooperative with those kinds of mods. You can change it over to a mass airflow system with parts from any '89+ donor car, or get it all new from Summit for about $400. If you want to make real power someday, this is a great place to start. Many people have made speed density work with big mods, but it's a PITA. MAF is much easier and more forgiving. I'd suggest giving Ed Curtis ( http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ ) a call to find out what he can do for you with those flat top pistons. I second the vote for gears too, 3.73's rock. It's all about torque multiplication baby! Also, take to heart the warning about T5's. If you are going to go to the trouble of putting a stick back in there, then don't don't DON'T put another T5 in unless you got it from Liberty or G-force (or you can get it for next to nothing). I suggest a TKO, been hammering away on mine for about 50,000 miles with no troubles whatsoever. Get a good shifter too, like a Pro5.0 (especially if you do end up with a T5- a billet shifter is a must) Oh... and tint the windows.

:spot: