Okay, I'm at a loss...

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
Problem: Brakes lock up (power discs/drums, Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers and Torino station wagon rear drums).

Things I've done:

1. Replaced both front calipers, rotors and pads.

2. Replaced rear shoes and cleaned out all hardware.

3. Replaced MC and adjusted pushrod to both extremes. I noticed that the front reservoir has a gyser when applying brakes on the old and new MC, but not when bench bleeding the MC.

4. Isolated problem to front discs as I disconnected hydraulic line to rear brakes at MC and it still locked up.

5. Could a bad distribution block cause the gyser as well as the locking problem on the front discs?

6. I read on a Google search that any air in the front calipers can cause this locking problem and that removing the calipers from the rotor and laying them on their sides to bleed system may cure this problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Problem: Brakes lock up (power discs/drums, Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers and Torino station wagon rear drums).

Things I've done:

1. Replaced both front calipers, rotors and pads.

2. Replaced rear shoes and cleaned out all hardware.

3. Replaced MC and adjusted pushrod to both extremes. I noticed that the front reservoir has a gyser when applying brakes on the old and new MC, but not when bench bleeding the MC.

4. Isolated problem to front discs as I disconnected hydraulic line to rear brakes at MC and it still locked up.

5. Could a bad distribution block cause the gyser as well as the locking problem on the front discs?

6. I read on a Google search that any air in the front calipers can cause this locking problem and that removing the calipers from the rotor and laying them on their sides to bleed system may cure this problem.

Locking up as in won't release?

ABS Power Brake in Orange does quality work on enthusiast cars if you give up working on it yourself.

This happened to me, if i have the right interpretation of what is happening that is. Here is what to do, get your car going pretty fast in reverse, around 15-20 and then apply hard pressure on the brakes. I know it sounds weird but it works.

This happened to me, if i have the right interpretation of what is happening that is. Here is what to do, get your car going pretty fast in reverse, around 15-20 and then apply hard pressure on the brakes. I know it sounds weird but it works.

Is this because of the self adjusting rear brake shoes? I haven't driven it in reverse that fast before, but I do notice it doesn't lock up when in reverse. Hmmmm. Thanks, I'll try that too.

On a dual M/C, the rear resevoir is for the front brakes and the front is for the rear. If you have them hooked up backwards, the front brakes require more pressure than the rear, so that could lock up the rears, but reading on, you have the front's locking up. I'd check the distribution block, but I'm at a loss as well. I don't see how air in the caliper could cause the brakes to lock up, I'd think it would seem mushy instead as the air will compress.

Now if both the M/C and the distribution block were hooked up in a wrong manner, could that not cause it as well? I know a drum/drum M/C will cause the front brakes to drag on a disc/drum car....

My brakes were doing really well, then as the weather got warmer in the last couple of days, it started locking up again in the afternoon if I stepped on the brakes too hard. I remembered what you had said, so tried rolling backwards down a steep hill last night for about 20 feet then slammed on the brakes.

Damn if they didn't lock up this afternoon! Smooth as silk. Thanks for the tip. I had to put my Mustang away today as I'm getting ready for a long fishing trip in the mountains so will see how it drives next time.