Old air products a/c VS Classic auto air.

c24sc

Jan 1, 2008
Hey Guys,

Anybody have any input/experience with either?
I'm looking at either the complete a/c-heater setup from Old air (hurricane kit) Old Air Products or the Classic auto air a/c -heater kit 64-66 Mustang Air Conditioning System | 64-66 Ford Mustang AC.

Anyone install either? The classic air wants to block off the air intake inlet (hat from cowl) and screw into cowl. Also their instructions are detailed, but from the instructions the finished product doesn't look that ..mmm.. great ? Haven't seen the install instructions for old air, so I can't compare.

http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals/1-1025Manual.pdf

I think 66runt will have some input (I hope).

Thanks guys!
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

Decisions, decisions

Hi Nate,

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three top companies. I have *read* some very good things about Old Air Products.
Two important considerations I have:
  • Separately serviceable heater core
  • Coolant lines outside the cockpit
Based on your post, I am guessing you've read the information I put on the web page in the below signature.
With any kit, there is room for improvement, and tweaks during the install. On this point, I'd recommend trial fitting all the components before connecting anything.
As far as which one to get; I'd say go with your gut feeling.
Good luck!

Hi Nate,

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three top companies. I have *read* some very good things about Old Air Products.
Two important considerations I have:
  • Separately serviceable heater core
  • Coolant lines outside the cockpit
Based on your post, I am guessing you've read the information I put on the web page in the below signature.
With any kit, there is room for improvement, and tweaks during the install. On this point, I'd recommend trial fitting all the components before connecting anything.
As far as which one to get; I'd say go with your gut feeling.
Good luck!

Thanks 66runt.

Hoping a few other guys that come to this site have installed/used one of these full kits. I guess my question goes to you, why did you choose the classic auto kit vs. another? Also, whats the third company you are thinking of?

Thanks!
Nate

Yes, it would be really great to hear from some of the others. Especially those with professional installation experience on the different kits.

The third company I am thinking of is Vintage Air. They make the same style kit. The downside for me (strictly a personal thing) is that the evap and heater core are siamesed. Which means in order to service the heater core, the A/C system has to be discharged and opened up. Otherwise, I really like the quality, and the small footprint inside the car. And on their behalf, they sell thousands of kits with a very good reputation.

I chose CAA because I couldn't get a straight answer from Old Air Products. Most likely I just didn't get the right person on the phone. I've had a lot of experience installing aftermarket A/C systems, and have a strong grasp of refrigeration systems design. My very pointed questions, could have been perceived as coming from a competitor instead of a private individual. From everything I have read they have an excellent reputation.
I was in Florida on a business trip and had the opportunity to tour the CAA facilities. When I explained my experience level and started asking the same pointed questions, it was like the doors flew open, and they really took the time to answer by showing me exactly what they do, and how they do it. The mechanics are solid, and system is well engineered for an aftermarket kit.

From my observations of different cars I've looked at, the overall quality of all these "kits" is very remeniscent of aftermarket stuff from the 70s. They just don't have the "polish" one would expect. While the componentry is modern and efficient, the end result is definitely a product of the individuals' attention to detail.
Hth,

Scott

I've installed the Vintage kit and four classic air kits. No Old air kits. 66Runt has very accuratly described the issues with the kits. I got very poor response from Vintage, I felt the kit was an extreamly poor fit, compared to the Classic kit was very difficult to install. It worked great once it was all together.
The tech rep at Classic talked to me for nearly a half hour about the intall. Was very helpful and knew the product inside and out. The fit and finnish of the Classic kit I think is way better than the Vintage kit. And there are some mods you can make to improve it further. If you look over Scott's website, you will see what he did with the system. I have made the firewall mod to every kit I have installed and everyone that has looked at it likes it a lot.
On two of our project cars we flipped the condensor 180 degrees and ran the hoses under the battery tray. Both of these cars were built with the March serpintine kit so the A/C compressor was relocated to the passenger side. Turned out fantastic. If classic offered a bracket to put the compressor over there I think would make it a much better install with V belts. Oh, (lastly) we had to butcher up the Vintage bracket to get the compressor mounted, the Classic bracket needed a little modification, but fit much better.

Classic unit

I installed the classic unit on my 65 fastback resto mod. I liked it because the car has a console and the vents they provide go around that well. I also used the March serpentine belt system which worked well (2 belts). As I remember it wasnt' too bad to install, with a few tweeks. Blocks off the vent, but I didn't care. Pretty well engineered but it is tight under there, so it was fun to put in defrost hoses, etc. Unit works very well, uses existing controls, looks fine. I looked at others you speak of and decided Classic was best.

I've got a Classic Auto a/c perfect fit system in my car. I didn't install it but the shop that did said it went in easily and all of the parts were there. What I can tell you is that it works like a champ even in 110 degree weather.

I have the Old Car unit in my 64 chevy truck - never worked well -I installed it ~ 9or so years ago, maybe the've improved since then. We're currently installing the Classic Air system in our '65 Mustang. Install is not complete yet, but has gone straight forward so far. We're using the combined version that is all self contained under the dash. the only problem we had with Classic air was when they sent the kit, they sent one for a '69. Instead of having us return the whole kit, they had us send back various pieces and they sent us pieces back instead of a complete kit. Kind of messy way to do business

Yes, it would be really great to hear from some of the others. Especially those with professional installation experience on the different kits.

The third company I am thinking of is Vintage Air. They make the same style kit. The downside for me (strictly a personal thing) is that the evap and heater core are siamesed. Which means in order to service the heater core, the A/C system has to be discharged and opened up. Otherwise, I really like the quality, and the small footprint inside the car. And on their behalf, they sell thousands of kits with a very good reputation.

I chose CAA because I couldn't get a straight answer from Old Air Products. Most likely I just didn't get the right person on the phone. I've had a lot of experience installing aftermarket A/C systems, and have a strong grasp of refrigeration systems design. My very pointed questions, could have been perceived as coming from a competitor instead of a private individual. From everything I have read they have an excellent reputation.
I was in Florida on a business trip and had the opportunity to tour the CAA facilities. When I explained my experience level and started asking the same pointed questions, it was like the doors flew open, and they really took the time to answer by showing me exactly what they do, and how they do it. The mechanics are solid, and system is well engineered for an aftermarket kit.

From my observations of different cars I've looked at, the overall quality of all these "kits" is very remeniscent of aftermarket stuff from the 70s. They just don't have the "polish" one would expect. While the componentry is modern and efficient, the end result is definitely a product of the individuals' attention to detail.
Hth,

Scott

Thanks for the input Scott.

I'm no a/c tech, but will be cover a/c in level 4 of my heavy duty ticket. But if you feel the kit was a good choice, I'm leaning towards their product. But also nice to see other members were satisfied with their product.

As for attention to detail, I will be doing as much as possible to make it look cleaner (tips for your cardomain will help). But before I get there, I have to finish the metal work on the car first.

I'm working on the cowl right now, so its split apart. Was thinking of pressing out a cover that fits the top of the cowl hat on the passanger side and welding it on(then seal/paint etc) before I put the upper cowl back on. That way no i don't have to screw that in the block off plate or worry about water pooling up. I did get the instructions from old air products, and their kit also blocks off the air inlet.

I'm going a/c/heater kit no matter what (heater box was not good anyways), so I figure I might aswell do the block off properly. Will also mount the whole kit in on mack setup to test fit it, and weld any brackets or mounting bolts on instead of screwing through the sheet metal.

Nate