old news for the gto owner

GM owners

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Gto when tested by either Motor Trend or Car and Driver ran a 14.1 or 14.0 as a matter of fact the there was a article on both the gto and the mustang inwhich the mustang was quicker in the 1/4. A 350 hp car running 14.0's now thats not impressive at all. I think its time for GM to think about another engine maybe create a ls2 because to have a corvette engine stuck inside of every performance car they make and for Ford to use a smaller engines and still be able to win races well doc its kind of sad. :shrug:

hypertech programming,trickflow intake,off road h-pipe,flowmasters 40,bbk shorty headers, bbk underdrive pullies,granatelli mass air,bbk 65 mm throtle bbk cold air, 160 degree thermostat, 373 gears, eibach springs, 18 inch cobra r's

• Sponsors (?)

First, I am a little tired of comparing cars just on one stat. There is more to a car than the 1/4 mi. time (or hp, or tq, etc...). And I am even more tire of always beating up on the GTO. Why? It is not competition (as the sales figures are proving). That being said.....

The Goat is really heavy--don't discount that. But I think the next-gen GTO will be a different story. The Monaro (current GTO) is a little outdated, and focused more on luxury than performance. But, it was the quickest way GM could get anything over here to attempt to compete with the impending sports car/muscle car wars (and look how well its doing ;) ).

2007 will be a different story. The Camaro will be back (always traditionally faster than the Mustang); the GTO will be all-new (to take on the SE Mustangs (hp) and G35s (luxury), and the Vette will still beat up on the Cobra (albeit for more money).

The bottom line: THEY ALL KICK ASS!

Yes, indeed, these are good times to be a car guy! No matter who you are loyal to.

Rampant said:
First, I am a little tired of comparing cars just on one stat. There is more to a car than the 1/4 mi. time (or hp, or tq, etc...). And I am even more tire of always beating up on the GTO. Why? It is not competition (as the sales figures are proving). That being said.....

The Goat is really heavy--don't discount that. But I think the next-gen GTO will be a different story. The Monaro (current GTO) is a little outdated, and focused more on luxury than performance. But, it was the quickest way GM could get anything over here to attempt to compete with the impending sports car/muscle car wars (and look how well its doing ;) ).

2007 will be a different story. The Camaro will be back (always traditionally faster than the Mustang); the GTO will be all-new (to take on the SE Mustangs (hp) and G35s (luxury), and the Vette will still beat up on the Cobra (albeit for more money).

The bottom line: THEY ALL KICK ASS!

Yes, indeed, these are good times to be a car guy! No matter who you are loyal to.

I have nothing to add except, well said. :nice:

uh Camaros have always been traditonally faster than the mustang it was always a back an forth battle between the two. Except when the mustang was at it lowest point 74-78 and 94-01 thats of course you have a vette package under the hood of a camaro trans am gto etc. Which is really why I don't respect camaros. I respect the older 69 70 models but thats about it.

:owned:

hypertech programming,trickflow intake,off road h-pipe,flowmasters 40,bbk shorty headers, bbk underdrive pullies,granatelli mass air,bbk 65 mm throtle bbk cold air, 160 degree thermostat, 373 gears, eibach springs, 18 inch cobra r's

meanngreen94 said:
uh Camaros have always been traditonally faster than the mustang it was always a back an forth battle between the two. Except when the mustang was at it lowest point 74-78 and 94-01 thats of course you have a vette package under the hood of a camaro trans am gto etc. Which is really why I don't respect camaros. I respect the older 69 70 models but thats about it.

:owned:

LOL.. you say 94-01 like its a 2 week span or something. Esp. since it was more like 92-01. The Camaro has beaten the mustang performance wise for a long ass time now.. I guess now that its retro we should rewind the clock 40 years and think about the good old days?

Well Chevy has always been more about engine than interior and the like... Ford on the other hand was always about good performance and good interior and the like. Now Ford could have stuck a 5.4L 32V DOHC motor in the Mustang long ago and Chevy would have checked their ego out the door. However this was not Ford. I know performance is a HUGE deal in a car, however so is being able to sit somewhat comfortably lol.

First off the GTO has an LS2 for the 2005 model year with the same output as the corvette obviously second the different levels of the Mustang and the Different levels of the Camaro were quite different especially when the Mustang changed to the 4.6 in 96. So the Cobra went through a rough stage in the late 90s the Camaro wasnt doing the best either and during that time the best camro you could get was the SS compared to what the best Mustang which was maybe a Saleen S351. I really dont know how anyone could say that the Camaro was or really has ever been better than the Stang bet all that really matters is that the Stang is still here and when the New Camaro comes out the 2007 Mustang will have already undergone some Major changes i.e.(Cobra, Saleen, Roush,)
:hail2:

Jpjr said:
LOL.. you say 94-01 like its a 2 week span or something. Esp. since it was more like 92-01. The Camaro has beaten the mustang performance wise for a long ass time now.. I guess now that its retro we should rewind the clock 40 years and think about the good old days?

lol you are right it was a while before a mustang stock for stock could say that i can run with you in the 1/4 until the mach 1 change all that but let the good times roll chey vs ford will never die

MetikalSVT said:
First off the GTO has an LS2 for the 2005 model year with the same output as the corvette obviously second the different levels of the Mustang and the Different levels of the Camaro were quite different especially when the Mustang changed to the 4.6 in 96. So the Cobra went through a rough stage in the late 90s the Camaro wasnt doing the best either and during that time the best camro you could get was the SS compared to what the best Mustang which was maybe a Saleen S351. I really dont know how anyone could say that the Camaro was or really has ever been better than the Stang bet all that really matters is that the Stang is still here and when the New Camaro comes out the 2007 Mustang will have already undergone some Major changes i.e.(Cobra, Saleen, Roush,)
:hail2:

Thank you thats the point I was trying to get to the obvious GM owners. Hey thanks for fact about the Ls2. Just think maybe if GM didn't spend so much money on putting vette engines in the ro and the bird they would still be here today until then I guess we will have to wait and see them at the red lights in a town near you in 2007. :cheers:

I want some of what your smoking when you say a G35 can beat up on a cobra all day long....Hmm at the track A G35 ran me with spray and I just did not see him..well that could be because I went 12.3 and he went 13.0....

actually the camaro was slower than the fox stangs from about 1984 to 1992...and btw 1993 was the first year for the 275 horse z28.....hell even the irocs with the 350 in them were never as fast as a comparable mustang...oh how i used to love spanking those things in my lx...

Stangninjak said:
I want some of what your smoking when you say a G35 can beat up on a cobra all day long....Hmm at the track A G35 ran me with spray and I just did not see him..well that could be because I went 12.3 and he went 13.0....

LOL. Back to the topic though, I thought the stang had some good years from about 85-93. The fox bodies did a number on the camaro and firebirds despite less displacement (302 vs 305 or 350). They still managed to cut the mustard and set the tone for pony cars. But after 93, the GT was playing catch up. Both are great cars built for the same purpose, but more emphasis was placed on comfort from the Ford car, while Chevy looked into performance.

O.K., quick history breakdown, and I'm not going to count ultra-low production cars like ZL-1's, or COPO's, or Boss's, etc.etc...

1964-1966, Mustang rules, why? The Camaro didn't exist

1967-early1968, Camaro. 396's outgunned 390's

1968 1/2-1970, Mustang makes a comeback. 428CJ's are plentiful (mostly in '69), and spank 396's

1971, Mustang again, 429CJ takes it, though Camaros are still available with the 396 FYI.

1972-1981, Camaro, by an embarrassingly large margin

1982-1984, I call it a tie. In '82, both top V8's were anemic and just about even in a heads-up race. 83-84 H.O. 302 was 175 h.p., but in '84 GM introduced the 190 h.p. 305 H.O. to counter. But Mustang was a bit lighter. All in all, just call it a tie through those years (although the Camaro owned the Mustang in handling).

1985-1992, Mustang, hands-down. Even the 350 equipped Camaro's were slugs (ever driven one? :puke: ), and despite making more h.p. on paper in most years (5.7L), had lame rear end ratios, low shift points, and a lousy mandatory automatic tranny and could barely clip a sub-15 1/4 mile. 5.0 Mustangs owned all Camaros during this era, even the B4C police-package and 1LE track package. I used to just PLAY with 5.7 Irocs in my heavy '88 GT convertible.

1993-2002, Camaro, and we all know that story.

2003-up, DUHHHHHH ;)

All those that agree with Ricks opinion say I. I agree Rick

meanngreen94 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Gto when tested by either Motor Trend or Car and Driver ran a 14.1 or 14.0 as a matter of fact the there was a article on both the gto and the mustang inwhich the mustang was quicker in the 1/4. A 350 hp car running 14.0's now thats not impressive at all. I think its time for GM to think about another engine maybe create a ls2 because to have a corvette engine stuck inside of every performance car they make and for Ford to use a smaller engines and still be able to win races well doc its kind of sad. :shrug:

Dont judge a car by what an ass-rag like C&D posts for its quarter mile time. Many GTO owners have turned 13.5 and 13.6 times stock. Even my old GTP they said ran 15.2 and my worst stock time was a 14.9 and after a little practice was running 14.6 stock. People who test drive cars for magazines cant drive for ****. They just mash the pedal to the floor and hold on. You will never get a decent time that way. Some car magazines are posting 14.2s for the new stangs, do you really believe that?

Dont judge a car by what an ass-rag like C&D posts for its quarter mile time. Many GTO owners have turned 13.5 and 13.6 times stock. Even my old GTP they said ran 15.2 and my worst stock time was a 14.9 and after a little practice was running 14.6 stock. People who test drive cars for magazines cant drive for ****. They just mash the pedal to the floor and hold on. You will never get a decent time that way. Some car magazines are posting 14.2s for the new stangs, do you really believe that?

:shrug:

GTPDan said:

:shrug:

Rampant said:
and the Vette will still beat up on the Cobra (albeit for more money).

Interesting. A Vette, what, $40,000, and a $32,000+ Cobra, with the real life cases, and the mags stating the Cobra will take the Vette, for (after dealer markup) almost $10,000 less. Yep...I guess the vette is REALLY beating up the Cobra. :rolleyes: