Old Sprint Tires Are Good Drag Tires? Link-

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I was at the sprint races last weekend and noticed the 360 sprints use a 15" wheel..i know they toss out tires regularly after the races and i would like to know if there is any reason i couldent use em as a cheap drag tire on the back of my mustang?(i'm talking about their front tires) here's an ebay item number just for an example, Thanks

Ebay# 270143203434

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

they are D12 compound, which is pretty soft right? anything is better than my street tires...so for the low buck occasional weekend racer these should work out fine, i asked the seller some questions and here is the reply:

"Hello, we run these mainly on an eight inch wheel, but some guys run them all the way up to 10 inches wide. 85 is the approx circumference , 15 is the rim diameter and 8 is the optimum wheel width. I would guess they would be ok on a 7 inch wheel, but no gaurantees. Thanks."

next weekend i will ask around in the pits for some old tires, if they dont give me some i can guarantee any team wont ask more than 50.00 for a pair!

~Mark~

They probably have really stiff sidewalls to keep their shape during cornering....slicks have sidewalls designed to flex to allow the tire to grip without breaking loose. They might be better than a street tire...maybe not, but definitely not better or anywhere near as good as a real drag slick.

I am on a pit crew at our local sircle track and the late modles run a 10" slick on a 8" rim and they work good when warm...any good team will know when to change the tires even if the still look good. The Hoosier ones are only good for 4 race nights even if they still look good they will replace them. Reason behind this is that the compound in the rubber is so soft when new that after about 12 heat cycles the go hard. I know alot of guys who will run them on thier mustangs or whatever (even 6Cyl S-10's lol) and if you do a big burn out with them they will get nice and sticky again. My boss use to run them at the drag strip when he made about 380 HP+ 150 shot N2o and he said they work good once you burn the heck out of them.

oh I didn't realize you were looking at dirt track tires (from ebay with the # you posted) I was talking about slicks with no treads...the 8" ones my friend runs has a few line around the just enough to call them treded tires. but the other cars run a 10" slick with no treads....and yess the sidewall are about the same as a good street tire with the same size sidewall if not a little more stiff

thanks for the info guys, it's just an idea i have floating around in my head, saturday i will ask the sprint racers in the pits for old tires, you'd probably be surprised at how soft the sidewalls really are.. i only hit the track 1-3 times a year if that

~Mark~

they sometimes run different sized tires on both sides to compinsate for the bakked corner....the outside tire will spin faster so they would run 2 different sizes....only if the rules require ther rear end to be locked. ask about that at the same time when asking for a set of tires just to make sure you get the same size