OLDSMOBILE 455 QUESTION

• Sponsors (?)

No real firm idea.

Everything I have read says they are externally identical blocks. Maybe the weight of the 455 pushes the mounts down some, or the heads vary somehow.

I thought this was the same with Pontiacs, until I owned a 301, one of the two that is different from every other Pontiac from 326 to 455. It has a shorter deck and so all the brackets and stuff were differentl

dont those cars have multiple mounting locations for different motors and/or chevy/BOP? i bet that the engine is mounted to the wrong mounting location.... i dont see any other way that a shorty header would not fit, unless it is a cheap POS header.

I Never heard of shorty headers for a 455.No they were not made to accept a chevy motor or anything else.Back then chevy was a chevy,Buick a Buick, Oldsmobile an Oldsmobile ect...... not like today!!

willys1 said:
I Never heard of shorty headers for a 455.No they were not made to accept a chevy motor or anything else.Back then chevy was a chevy,Buick a Buick, Oldsmobile an Oldsmobile ect...... not like today!!
:bs: check out your car history. you dont think you can put a chevy into a BOP?

bigcat said:
:bs: check out your car history. you dont think you can put a chevy into a BOP?
Dont tell me dude,,check your facts!! Yes,you can put what ever you want in anything!! Im saying if you bought a Trans Am it came with a Pontiac motor! If you bought a chevy it came with a chevy!! Factory's put there "own" motors in there cars!! Period!

willys1 said:
Dont tell me dude,,check your facts!! Yes,you can put what ever you want in anything!! Im saying if you bought a Trans Am it came with a Pontiac motor! If you bought a chevy it came with a chevy!! Factory's put there "own" motors in there cars!! Period!
True. However, blocks were shared based on displacement, willy.

From what i understand the headers are the same for the 455 as the 350. He has a brand called sanderson. They are pricey too. He's thinking if he switches to 455 mounts, it may give him adequate clearance. You guys think so? I guess the frame is in the way.

:shrug: