On3 Performance Kit

Hardinkyle5.0

Jan 8, 2015
So I've recently decided to do a turbo on my 89 5.0 and I have been leaning towards the on3 performance kit and suggestions???? Need some input! Planned on going with 42lbs injectors and a 340 pump still calling around and looking for a nice tuner

• Sponsors (?)

I have zero issues with my on3 kit. Fitment was good. I did opt to make some changes with the cold side, but wasnt necessary. I have parked my ride for the winter, still chasing an electrical gremlin that peeked its nasty head out due to an engine fire from a fuel line rupture. I would but this kit again...

I have zero issues with my on3 kit. Fitment was good. I did opt to make some changes with the cold side, but wasnt necessary. I have parked my ride for the winter, still chasing an electrical gremlin that peeked its nasty head out due to an engine fire from a fuel line rupture. I would but this kit again...

You fall into the 2 out of 3 category that I mentioned that haven't had total catastrophic failure. Remember me mentioning that? And knowing those stats you'd still spend the money? What if your turbo smoked in 50 miles?

I'd MAYBE buy a set of the headers for 25 cents on the dollar if I was going to build a boosted beater. . But anything that moves is completely off the table for me. Consider this: turbo, wastegate, and blowoff valve.. and the blow off valve is the only thing on my kit still working. You'd buy that crap?

Sorry. Not me.

I would buy the Hellion kit myself over the On3. On3 has an inferior setup comparatively but it does cost double the price. Also op you stated you were looking at the 340 pump and 42#inj. Both would be great if you plan on keeping this under "block splitting" power levels. Which are arguably around 500rwhp. You might want to look into a bigger inj(60 is good). That is if you are going to have it tuned. That way you have some more room to grow and only have to buy once.

It's not about how much power these kits can make. The problems(as far as I've seen) is the quality of components. Durability and fit/finish and service if there is a problem with components. 1/3 or better of purchasers have had devastating outcomes/bad experiences. 2/3 not a darn thing. Ran and fit well. I just wouldn't take a chance. You may feel differently and probably won't have a problem if you do purchase. But....?

The success of using the On3 kits, all comes down to installer competence. If you take your time, and use the right parts. Then actually install everything right... The kits are fine.

Very basic... but fine.
cd1c72a7ec1595e9e0350689c17a27d2.jpg

The success of using the On3 kits, all comes down to installer competence. If you take your time, and use the right parts. Then actually install everything right... The kits are fine.

Very basic... but fine.
cd1c72a7ec1595e9e0350689c17a27d2.jpg

These comments make little sense.

Taking your time doesn't help how poorly these kits can line up (something I've seen in person with people far more qualified than guys on this forum)
Using the right parts? Like what? The kits are a scam, the base price gives you junk, everyone knows this, therefore you have to get the upgraded parts, which blows the budget. The base kit really shouldn't even exist.
Installer competence? I don't care how competent you are, if things don't fit right and parts fail if you do get it to fit right, what does that have to do with competence?

It's more like the success of an on3 kit comes down to luck.
Clearly some of these kits work, some of them don't. But suggesting that are issues are based on installer competence is insulting to the people who have had real issues, issues they did not cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like I struck a nerve. I have seen time and time again that people complain about the turbos blowing out. But once you take a look at how it's installed in the engine bay you find out that the person who installed it never clocked the CHRA properly.

When I refer to installer competence , my comment is in reference to knowing how to properly modify the kids to work. If you entered this hobby thinking that everything is bolt on youre wrong. These aren't factory parts, and shouldn't be expected to fit as such.

You must be easy to please, for a basic street care setup I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to bolt it in and go.
On a custom race car I could understand having to change/modify, but let's be realistic these kits are going on the average guys car, many of which don't have the skills to modify it.
If someone has the skills to weld and fabricate a turbo setup, they probably wouldn't be buying a kit in the first place.

You don't hear people complaining about vortech S trims.

Interesting concept, the guy that doesn't have the means to modify something that shouldn't need modifying is incompetent, but the company that builds the kit poorly in the first place isn't?

Someone that puts on 4 lug nuts when it takes 5 is incompetent, someone that puts motor oil in the power steering reservoir is incompetent, sorry but someone that buys a turbo kit that is a bolt in and doesn't know had to fabricate is not.

Incompetent is a word used for little more than slinging an insult. Not sure why you feel compelled insult guys in a attempt to defend what is well known as a questionable product.
You could have simply stated it would be better suited towards more advanced installers, especially if the intent of your original post was to let others know these kits can work.

Last edited:
I'm 19 years old and did all the work myself I wanted a kit that didn't need much stealth pump and accel 44 runs great I'll have to post my numbers when it gets to the DYNO only wanted a nice street car and that's what I got super happy with the outcome

Reactions: 1 user