One Guy's Opinion On Cobra's

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
I was thinking about used Cobra's the other day and why they shouldn't be sought after vs the GT . It seems to me the only reason a guy should buy a cobra is if he was planning on doing a stock rebuild and hanging on to it for 100 yrs. If you plan on modifying you're changing what sets it apart from the gt. For example, if guy 'a' has a gt and he puts the trick flow topend kit on it and guy 'b' has a cobra and he puts the same trick flow topend on his they are essentially the same now. Guy 'a' got there a little cheaper and guy 'b' is probably going to lose a little at auction 100 years from now. No "Fobra's" fore they are whack.

• Sponsors (?)

Rodding a 93 Cobra vs a 93 GT seems like a waste of money to me too. But that is not going to stop me from putting a Cobra body kit with a GT spoiler and LX tail lights on my 91 LX. I know what I want it to look like and do not plan on selling it soon. In 25 to 50 years, that it is in good shape will be more important than stock, like a Cobra would need to be.

I have seen a lot of cars that were modified/raced and there is a good percentage of them that I think *WTF* was that guy thinking by rodding or modifying that? And the answer is mostly that we modify/race/hotrod what we have. I have turned my 89' Saleen into a drag car. Why? Because it was what I had. I did not want to spend the $ to buy another car to turn into the drag car and the Saleen was a good platform. Plus since this car was new in 89' it was modified. The original owner in 89' put a Paxton S/C on it along with aluminum heads/exhaust ect. So it was far from stock by the time I got my mitts on it.
I had a 81' 2 door Fairmont, but did not want to pull a @madmike1157 on it and turn it into the drag car.

I have seen a lot of cars that were modified/raced and there is a good percentage of them that I think *WTF* was that guy thinking by rodding or modifying that? And the answer is mostly that we modify/race/hotrod what we have. I have turned my 89' Saleen into a drag car. Why? Because it was what I had. I did not want to spend the $ to buy another car to turn into the drag car and the Saleen was a good platform. Plus since this car was new in 89' it was modified. The original owner in 89' put a Paxton S/C on it along with aluminum heads/exhaust ect. So it was far from stock by the time I got my mitts on it.
I had a 81' 2 door Fairmont, but did not want to pull a @madmike1157 on it and turn it into the drag car.
Yeah I get that, fix up what you have. I'm talking about seeking one out buying and modifying.

Rodding a 93 Cobra vs a 93 GT seems like a waste of money to me too. But that is not going to stop me from putting a Cobra body kit with a GT spoiler and LX tail lights on my 91 LX. I know what I want it to look like and do not plan on selling it soon. In 25 to 50 years, that it is in good shape will be more important than stock, like a Cobra would need to be.
You gonna put snakes on er?

I agree with ya OP, unless one buys a car and keeps the outside relatively stock and just hops up the performance. Cobra models tend to be more pleasing to the eye, IMO. If that is the case, I would totally build and boost a stock appearing '93 Cobra, then take a GT and make it a look alike. On the other hand, I am sure a lot of people buy a Cobra model of some sort just to feel like they have something 'more' than the guy next to them at a show.

I am sure a lot of people buy a Cobra model of some sort just to feel like they have something 'more' than the guy next to them at a show.
They do if its in presteen unmolested condition or if they have a time machine and go back to 93 and sit it next to a 93 Lx or gt. If not they have the same trick flow, Afr, or eddlebrock headded mustang as everyone else except they have a snake in the grill.

But,...... I not making it into a drag car???:shrug:

You post a lot of dumb ****
postofthweek-4.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Pardon me, snake on the fender or whatever. All I was getting at is why buy a used cobra these days? But at any rate y'all have a good one. I'd better go shine my oil filter before mad mike has a coronary.
On that I will agree. Why spend $15-20k on a 10 year old car when you can get the same performance if not better with a more modern platform and less miles in a 2011 and up GT for a few thousand more.

You post a lot of dumb ****
:nonono: Warning...Don't do this, bentley. The post is inflammatory and unnecessary. His thread is not a personal insult, and if you don't want to partake in the conversation, then move on. Just scroll over the thread and go to the next. How many people 'like' it doesn't matter if it's a violation of stangnet TOS.

Reactions: 1 user