One of three Stangs in Germany (on the road)

USArmyPhotog

Aug 23, 2004
Germany
Two photos of my 'Stang, picked up Thursday from Bremerhaven (in the north) Already has 600 miles on it, has been briefly to 130 mph. Nothing broken, nothing strained, everything works, only complaint is: bottles of water in the cupholders get in the way of shifting.

Attachments

• castlestang1.jpg
    castlestang1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 568
  • firsttankup1.jpg
    firsttankup1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Sponsors (?)

That's the Heidelberg Castle in the background of the night photo. Autobahn is great, there are plenty of fast cars around here, and my motor is still breaking in, but there isn't much substitute for V8 torque.

Germans definitely associate American V8s with good times, and they appreciate a handsome design. Lot's of stares on the street and in traffic.
I only took it over 80 once on the 420 mile drive home, and now it is getting close to being broken in, so I can let all 300 horses run free now.

The other night the wife and I went for a drive around, and after she got used to it, she loved it. We stopped and had a glass of wine at an Italian place down the street, and parked in front was a yellow Porsche Carerra GT. So I parked in front of it, and later talked to the owner, who was in town to do some laps on the Hockenheim track.

It is also a beautiful car, but the Mustang looked so nice he was excusing his car for being dirty from the road (Yellow really isn't right for the Porsche anyway, IMHO).

He knew that his car cost 16 TIMES what mine did, and yet he was impressed with the Mustangs looks and knew all about it, which is contrary to most people's stereotype of a "Porsche snob"

German gate guards are also finding it necessary to check the car when I enter a base, a heck of a lot more often than before.

USArmyPhotog said:
Two photos of my 'Stang, picked up Thursday from Bremerhaven (in the north) Already has 600 miles on it, has been briefly to 130 mph. Nothing broken, nothing strained, everything works, only complaint is: bottles of water in the cupholders get in the way of shifting.

That car looks bad a$$ can't wait to see it in person. I heard there was a 05 GT running around the heidelberg area. I'm in the Bitburg/Spangdahlem area and own a 04 Black Mach 1.

You have got to check this site out, it's for stang owners in Europe, it's mainly based out of Germany, with alot of the members being in the military, it's a pretty active site with alot of post, events and everyone helps out each other

MightyMustangs.net

I have been to Germany many, many times, and always, the reactions to an American car like a Vette or a Stang are much better than to a Ferrari or other European exotic. The reason? Having an American musclecar over there is unique, and not snobbish, all at the same time.

My dream is to someday take the brand new GT convertible (when it finally becomes available) over for a few months of summer touring through Europe. Ahh, but to dream...