Votes: 5 23.8%
  • straight pipe it " loud and obnoxious

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

StonysGT

Founding Member
Jun 10, 2002
winamac, Indiana
ok ive got a 92 gt conv. its pretty much stock except for a few things. right now ive got 40 series flowmasters with an off road h-pipe. it sounds really nice but i want it loud and obnoxiuos sounding. i thought about getting some delta force race mufflers but i was told my car wouldnt have enough back pressure. i alway thought the less restriction the better. ive had trucks ive ran straight pipes on and never had a problem with the engine or the performance. then a mechanic from ford said i could run straight pipes with no problems. sound ordanance isnt a problem around here. so whats the deal with the back pressure. so do i leave it or do i put delta force or straight pipe it.

• Sponsors (?)

Your car will run like CRAP if you run straight pipes. These engines rely on back pressure to produce torque. Without that back pressure, your stang will feel like a little civic when you punch it. Not to mention that it will sound like crap too. It'll sound like an old truck with popping when you let off the gas.

If you really want that loud, obnoxious rumble, got with an 0ff-road h-pipe and 1 chamber flows. That setup will be plenty loud and will acutally sound good and be logical. :nice:

One chamber is a race muffler. Delta force are not one chamber.
An article in 5.0 Mustang magazine dyno tested 15 mufflers to see which made more power, and which was loudest.
Bassani Real Streets made great power and torque, and peaked the dB meter. The only other setup that peaked the meter was open pipes, but they made 8 less hp at the wheels.
Try long tubes, o/r h-pipe, and the real streets. Should be loud!

StonysGT said:
ok ive got a 92 gt conv. its pretty much stock except for a few things. right now ive got 40 series flowmasters with an off road h-pipe. it sounds really nice but i want it loud and obnoxiuos sounding. i thought about getting some delta force race mufflers but i was told my car wouldnt have enough back pressure. i alway thought the less restriction the better. ive had trucks ive ran straight pipes on and never had a problem with the engine or the performance. then a mechanic from ford said i could run straight pipes with no problems. sound ordanance isnt a problem around here. so whats the deal with the back pressure. so do i leave it or do i put delta force or straight pipe it.

For a low compression, low overlap motor like yours. Open pipes are going to sound sucky and will hurt your performance.

I personally love my car with open pipes. It is not much quieter with a 3 inch offroad h pipe and 2 chambers. I have a track only car, but I would LOVE to drive my car on the street to see peoples reactions.

I drove my truck with open shorties to the exhaust shop about 2 miles away. Everyone will look. But I think I got more stares because I was also running rich, and spitting flames to the ground when I let off the gas. Mmmm fun.

Flowmaster makes the one-chamber race mufflers in regular style (one internal delta baffle) AND in the Delta Flow (three delta baffles) series.... except the one-chamber delta is called the "Delta Force" series. The Delta series, just like all of the Delta series mufflers, will have a 9 in front of the part number, the regular one will not. Example: FLO-42543 , FLO-942543. (both examples are offset in/out two chamber 40 series, by the way)
I've had both styles of the one chambers and the regular one is by far the loudest. They are as close to open pipes as you can get. I like loud and obnoxious too, but I really did get tired of being THAT loud ALL the time. The Delta Force one-chambers are loud too, but not quite as loud as the regular ones. They are as bassy and rumbly as the regular ones, but without as much high pitch and mid-range "groul" (pretty much like ALL Delta series mufflers).
I MUST note however, that both one-chamber styles sound like total CRAP with tailpipes! Tailpipes usually won't change the sound of a muffler so drastically like these do, but the sound totally changes when taillpipes are added. They get that "flappy" sound like an old truck with glasspacks. With dumps they don't. Please learn from my mistakes and my wasted money. If you want that sound, go with some glasspacks and save a bunch of money.... glasspacks are what, like $15? (I'm kidding....don't get glasspacks)
Another thing to consider is that the one-chambers are short mufflers and are center inlet/outlet, so to use them on a mustang, your flowtubes will have to be cut, altered, welded, etc, to make them fit. And making tailpipes fit with them is a total nightmare. Your exhaust will looked hacked, rigged, and ugly.... which might not bother some, but it bothered me.
Summit does not carry the original one-chambers, only the Delta-Force ones. Some other race catalogs still carry them, so they are still available.
Hope this helps.

If you have a fast car thats one thing, but with a stock engine and open pipes, the only thing that will be louder then your car will be everyone laughing at it as they pass you. :rlaugh: (you know your a red neck when your muffler falls off your car and you cant tell the deference. :doh: )