Opening door in winter

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
My apologies if this has been covered ad nauseam.

As most people in this section of the forums know, the windows roll down to clear the weatherstripping when you pull the door handle. How does this work in the winter when the window has frozen up to where the window won't roll down.

If I get a Mustang, it will be my winter ride too and we get lots of ice here in KY. Every winter there will be a handful of times that the windows freeze at the base of the windows and won't roll down at all.

Has anyone had their Mustang's window freeze up and how did that work out for you?

• Sponsors (?)

I live in Ohio, and have been driving my '05 GT all year long for the last couple of years. (Hopefully I'll have my beater Toyota 4x4 offroad truck done by this winter) I've never had a problem with the windows freezing.

The parking brake cable on the other hand :mad: I went to leave work one day, and it was froze solid. I had to sit there for almost an hour with the car running before it thawed enough so the car would move, and even then the brakes were still dragging some. I couldn't get under the car to beat on the cables or thaw them out, and I was parked in a parking garage that has a really tight spiral turn to get out, so I wouldn't even be able to get towed out of the garage. I've always been in the habit of using the parking brake because my previous cars had remote starters, and I had to set the parking brake to use them. I never did get around to installing one on this car yet, so I just had to learn not to use the parking brake. I did change the cables, but it seems that even the "updated" cables eventually have the same issue.

My apologies if this has been covered ad nauseam.

Has anyone had their Mustang's window freeze up and how did that work out for you?
Mine freeze about twice a winter in Indianapolis. It only happens when it is raining/sleeting when I park my car and then it freezes over night. I always close the door until it is resting against the weather strip (not latched) with the defrost on HI and it is fine when I'm done scraping.

The parking brake cable on the other hand :mad: I went to leave work one day, and it was froze solid. I had to sit there for almost an hour with the car running before it thawed enough so the car would move, and even then the brakes were still dragging some. I couldn't get under the car to beat on the cables or thaw them out, and I was parked in a parking garage that has a really tight spiral turn to get out, so I wouldn't even be able to get towed out of the garage. I've always been in the habit of using the parking brake because my previous cars had remote starters, and I had to set the parking brake to use them. I never did get around to installing one on this car yet, so I just had to learn not to use the parking brake. I did change the cables, but it seems that even the "updated" cables eventually have the same issue.
Ford has "fixed" mine three times. Well, they "un-stuck" it once, then changed the cable, then changed the cable/caliper. It stuck a week after the third fix, so I don't use my parking brake overnight in the winter.

The trick is to live somewhere where it doesn't get that cold!
:nice:

Mine freeze from sleet/freezing rain. When I open the door you can see the window bending to clear the weatherstripping. Like I said...years down the road, this will probably be an expensive fix.

Why dont you guys buy some rain guards? they were one of the first things i got for mine. They are worth the 45 bucks so you can ride around with the winders cracked in the rain. They look great too.
I would think this will solve some freeze issue at least for those not at the north pole anyway. :)