Opinion on used parts value (i.e. should I get them)

illwood

Apr 3, 2004
Worcester, MA
Since I'm almost ready to do gears and a transmission in the next month or so (3.73's and a T56). I was thinking about doing some more to the engine to satisfy my power cravings while I save up to build my skunkworks engine for the Mustang.

My buddy is selling some parts that he has that could fit the bill.

Iron GT40 heads (not P's) 40,000 miles, $300
Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 2 yrs old, $50

I would be making a mid-pipe and swapping to some better headers during the T56 swap anyway.

Are these parts worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

That is more of a personal thing for you to decide. But if you do end up buying them, I would get the heads checked by a machine shop and or decked. A machine shop would checks for cracks, bent valves, spring tension etc. This is an added cost, but again, it's up to you. Just have the parts checked before buying them. The fuel pump seems like a good deal, but check e-bay as well. The power sellers generally have good prices as well with tons of positive feed-back. Good Luck!

That is more of a personal thing for you to decide. But if you do end up buying them, I would get the heads checked by a machine shop and or decked. A machine shop would checks for cracks, bent valves, spring tension etc. This is an added cost, but again, it's up to you. Just have the parts checked before buying them. The fuel pump seems like a good deal, but check e-bay as well. The power sellers generally have good prices as well with tons of positive feed-back. Good Luck!
Sound advice to anyone considering used parts.

I would like to specify that when you say machine shop that you mean and automotive machine shop. Just a machine shop can make you about anything you can design, but isn't necessarily setup with the correct equipment for inspecting automotive components.

(I'm a mechanical engineer with a good amount of machining experience)

If the heads are in good shape and dont cost more to get them into good working order I would get them.

I paid 400$ for mine. I had them milled, better springs as the cam I ran needed better springs, valve job, tank, flux, assem. later for around 600$...kinda added up fast...esp. since the work and a port job from thumper (I will never stop thanking him :nice: ) would have been about the same WITH PORT WORK. I added up what I had in my heads and was shocked...but my plans/goals for this setup should be met once it get things sorted out, getting better and better everytime...just slow.

Some argue the cost over alum. I wanted to see what could be done with the iron heads and above all have fun and enjoy. I found it easier on the pocket book for the 400$ then a year or so later the mech. work as I could see the gain and pay out of pocket ALOT slower over time.

FWIW- with the unported gt40 heads, ported stock lower, TFS1 cam, 24#inj. with a C&L maf untuned ran a 13.5 @102 with a 2.2 60ft. Best before that was a 14.3 @ 98-ish with a 2.0 60ft with stock longblock. Not a bad gain if you ask me.

i would say they are not worth it. if you are like the rest of us, they might make you somewhat happy for a while, but then you will want more, then these heads won't be part of that.

save the money it would cost to get them checked out and new springs and a valve job and wait until you can afford better heads that you are much less likely to outgrow.

just mho

i would say they are not worth it. if you are like the rest of us, they might make you somewhat happy for a while, but then you will want more, then these heads won't be part of that.

save the money it would cost to get them checked out and new springs and a valve job and wait until you can afford better heads that you are much less likely to outgrow.

just mho
I agree with you that I will want more later (note the mention of the "skunkworks" plan for the engine). I was thinking that I would use these GT40s on the Mustang for now and in a year or so when I have the built motor ready to go in it (with AFR 185's), I would just keep the GT40s for the 351W in my Bronco.