Opinion Please

What should I make my project car (1967 Fastback/2+2)?

• Near-Exact Eleanor

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Eleanor w/ some Fastback parts

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Regular Fastback

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Suggestions (post below)

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

SlnLax43

May 5, 2004
I've been looking at pictures and considering different looks for my project car. Just asking the opinions of the board members...please vote and post comments.

Thanks,
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Do a '67-68 version of the shelby 350GT-sr with its bigger wheel openings and lower stance

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2004/september/shelby/shelby-lead.asp

rear-side.jpg

At my club's car show yesterday we had two Eleanor clones. Puke! I really can't believe how much uglier they are in person.

Of course we had some '67-68 GT 350/500 in the house as well. A MUCH BETTER LOOKING CAR IMO. Forget Gone in 60 seconds and build a Shelby GT 350 clone. You'll be happier in the long run.

2bav8 said:
At my club's car show yesterday we had two Eleanor clones. Puke! I really can't believe how much uglier they are in person.

Of course we had some '67-68 GT 350/500 in the house as well. A MUCH BETTER LOOKING CAR IMO. Forget Gone in 60 seconds and build a Shelby GT 350 clone. You'll be happier in the long run.

i agree 100% with 2bav8

I personally really like the Eleanor car (don't really care what others think of it) but I also like the 350 and the regular fastback. I just don't like deciding on stuff like this :rolleyes:

You have to remember most of the opinions people will list are what they have done or would like to do if they have the money. The original guys like original. The Eleanor guys will say Eleanor. So I won't be any different.... I say go retro racer!! ie.. 60's Trans Am style.

You can't beat it. It's got the racer heritage that most people don't understand... so you can be different. I personally like the chance to say "hey, I use my car". I don't just drive it to McDonalds on a Wednesday night for show.

If anything these cars are statements about us. So think about what you like to do and say... then maybe you'll come up with an idea or two on what you'd like the car to be about.

Don't just go with whatever a bunch of people "polled" to be the best idea.

Be unique. Build YOUR car to be YOUR own vision of what you consider to be the ultimate Mustang. If there's features from a 67 Shelby you like, use them. Same applies to an Eleanor, a GT350SR, a California special, and even a LATE-model!

Steal ideas, and build your own unique vision! :nice:

BobV said:
Be unique. Build YOUR car to be YOUR own vision of what you consider to be the ultimate Mustang. If there's features from a 67 Shelby you like, use them. Same applies to an Eleanor, a GT350SR, a California special, and even a LATE-model!

Steal ideas, and build your own unique vision! :nice:

This is my feelings as well.

For instance, my 70 Mach has the Shelby back end, except I filled in the indents on the end caps and trunk lid so they are smooth. I am also using the 69 stripe kit instead of the 70 mach 1 rocker panels. I blacked out all the chrome, and painted my bumpers to match the car.

Four wheel disc brakes, along with power rack and pinion, and coil over suspension at all four corners. This gives a modern day ride, and puts the technology up to date.

I love the Eleanor wheels, but instead of the P.S. Engineering set, I went with the Edlebrock 454's in satin...same look, cheaper price.

Rest of my mods are in the signature.

Just get creative. Use YOUR imagination, and make it into YOUR car instead of Jerry Bruckheimer's.

I'm going to finish the basic interior first and get some doors (the one the project car came with is all messed up) and install my door glass. When it comes to the Eleanor interior I'll probably get some of the stuff (the gauges are bad a$$) if I can afford it and then I'll start the exterior with some Eleanor or Shelby parts and some original fastback parts. I'll end up getting the Eleanor kit because I would use most of the parts anyway so I'll try some different stuff and post some pics to see what people think then but I've pretty much made my mind up...

Imagine a '67 Fastback with the Eleanor headlight buckets (upper front with the blue lights), a regular fastback front besides that, original upper side scoops, Eleanor lower side scoops, original taillights, Eleanor quarter extentions and deck lid, and GT500E style wheels. sound cool?

-Mike