Opinions Needed!!

clifperry

Dec 19, 2003
I need opinions on what to do. I just recently bought a 68 convertible and I am considering a couple of changes to the car. First off, I plan to keep the car a long while. It will be a weekend driver, not a show car. However, if I make these changes I don't want the value to drop to the bottom.

1. The car is currently the factory Diamond Blue (baby blue). I'm not a real fan of the color, so I am considering painting it Acapulco Blue. Will changing the color of the car be a big turn-off to the vintage mustang community?

2. The car currently has a single exhaust. As I'm repainting the car, I would also like to change the rear valance to the one with the cut-outs for the dual-quad exhaust so that I can put in a dual-exhaust with the polished dual tips.

Please let me know what you think. Am I ruining the car or am I increasing my enjoyment of it?

• Sponsors (?)

Your car, your choices

Go for it. My old 68 'Vert was originally Maroon, so I also repainted it Aculpoco Blue. I also added the dual-exhaust rear valence and quad-tips, along with a few 67 shelby body parts!

Enjoy it, have some fun. I also reccomend some good Wheels & tires, and some suspension work! :banana:

My '67 is also diamond blue, and I am also not very fond of the color. I get tired of people asking if it is some sort of white color. I would prefer a darker blue myself, but a paintjob is not a real priority as the Previous owner put this paint on less than 5 years ago.

clifperry said:
I need opinions on what to do. I just recently bought a 68 convertible and I am considering a couple of changes to the car. First off, I plan to keep the car a long while. It will be a weekend driver, not a show car. However, if I make these changes I don't want the value to drop to the bottom.

1. The car is currently the factory Diamond Blue (baby blue). I'm not a real fan of the color, so I am considering painting it Acapulco Blue. Will changing the color of the car be a big turn-off to the vintage mustang community?

2. The car currently has a single exhaust. As I'm repainting the car, I would also like to change the rear valance to the one with the cut-outs for the dual-quad exhaust so that I can put in a dual-exhaust with the polished dual tips.

Please let me know what you think. Am I ruining the car or am I increasing my enjoyment of it?

I drove a beige mist metalic mustang for several years until I realized that I hated the color and was keeping the car so why was I concerned about lowering the retail value? The vintage mustang community is huge and IMHO there is room for the concours croud and the restomoders. Some will be turned off by the color change but so what?

Changing the rear valance is not a big deal is something that can be easily changed back should the next owner what to return to factory "correct". You can get a repop rear valance for about $35 with the cutouts.

I also have a 68 convert. and I am making changes. Aside from cutting the thing to shreds, no matter what you do it can be changed back to original. Unless you want to sell the car to a vintage mustange expert not may people will care about the color changes. Now if you plan to do a complete restore and have the car concors correct they yes people will care.

As for mine, the origianal owers messed up the body so bad with bondo that I have no choice but to change things. Even the engine and trans were replaced with rebuilds. I do not a have worry that everything I do to the car will be tasteful, Mustang, and clean. Besides who really cares anyway what the "others" think. I is you car, do with it what you will. BTW mine is Aco Blue and will be changed to 2000 Atlantic Blue with stripes in some sort of silver by May '04. Long disertation but I hope it helps. :nice: