Opinions on a carb

I have a Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm on my 5.0L and it seems a good match for the Weiand 8011 Action Plus underneath. Its a very street worthy combination...gobs of low end torque and mid-range hp. Probably not best combination for WOT use however. I was looking for excellent performance to 5500 rpm and thats what it gives. I paid $285 for the Holley new from Wise Racing in St. Louis.

• Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne said:
Now, why would you want to live in Lousy-ana? :shrug: Oh wait, don't answer that, you live in California :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:
And in Berzerkley at that. ;)

Another thing about carb sizing. Vacuum secondaries will help prevent you from over carbing your engine. The engine only takes in the amount of fuel it needs with the vacuum secondaries, as opposed to being force fed the fuel with mechanical secondaries. From there, you can tune the Holley with different springs that varies when the secondaries open. This, in combination with propper jetting, makes the Holley difficult to over carb the engine, if tuned properly. I don't have any experience with Carter/Edelbrock carbs, so I don't know if you can adjust the secondaries like you can on a Holley.

lol, and honestly there are very few places on this planet i'd rather be. Outside a few cancelled classes here at UC Berkeley, I haven't really seen the effects of the supposedly calamitous predicament our state is in.

Barchetta, where in the Bay Area do you live?

As far as the carb, I run an Edelbrock 600 on my 351, and it did indeed run great right out of the box. Never had any experience with any other carbs (well, a holley 2 barrel and a 4150 that got eaten when my friends 289 got ornery, but no experience with it being new). An Edelbrock 500 might work really well.

SadbutTrue said:
lol, and honestly there are very few places on this planet i'd rather be. Outside a few cancelled classes here at UC Berkeley, I haven't really seen the effects of the supposedly calamitous predicament our state is in.

Barchetta, where in the Bay Area do you live?
I'm in Sunnyvale. And I agree, I don't think there's any other state I'd rather live in. Although, I wouldn't mind moving back down to San Diego. More laid back than here in the valley. Nicer people too.

kyle67 said:
sweet, I just have always had a bad exhaust smell that gets on me when I drive the car, that makes me scared to make it run rich. I have ordered a body plug kit, dynamat and bought a roll of visqueen to attempt to stop the mysterious fumes....

Kyle67
What is visqueen & how are you planning to use it on the car?

kyle67 said:
I hadn't thought much about the Autolite, I'll look into it...

Does everyone think I need a 600 cfm of some brand?

Yes, you need about a 600cfm carb. And, running a bigger carb doesn't make you run richer. You just have to tune each carb to each engine. I have a Speed demon carb (650) mech. sec. (double pumper) on an even milder 289 and the bottom end lag isn't very noticable with a 2400 stall converter as long as I don't floor it off the line. It will be going on a supercharger 331 as that's what I bought it for. It was a big difference over the 4160 Holley I had. That carb was terrible and I never relized how much 'till I installed the Demon.

-Brian

I am going to use the sheet plastic to cover the acces holes between the interior panels and the window mechnisms and under the package tray. I'm doing this to prevent fumes from entering the car. I saw it done to Steilow's "The Mule" in Popular Hot Rodding by his interior guy.....seemed like a great idea.

I'm thinking I'm going with the 570 Avenger or the 600 Edelbrock....