Opinions on a GT I'm Considering

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I currently have my 2000 GT in my signature and avatar. It's showing its age and the miles aren't exactly getting lower, so I've kicked around the idea of buying a newer GT and parting ways with mine.

One that has caught my eye is a nice 2007 GT, 5 speed. Dark gray (DSG? or is there another one darker than that?), black leather interior... basically everything I want.

It has 54k and some change on it, which is about right for the year. They are asking $19.9k at a dealership. I don't know what type of wiggle room they're willing to do, but I'd be shooting for somewhere in the 17k range. Not really looking to trade my GT in. With a little time/work put into it I think I would fare better selling it.

Does that price seem fair for the car assuming it's in 100% mechanical shape? It looks clean as a pin like its been really well taken care of. Nothing fishy on the history report, although those aren't always accurate.

Buying a new 5.0 isn't an option at this point in time, as much as I'd like to. I can't say if it would, or would not be an option in the near future either, so holding off for one could be a hopeless cause. I'm looking for something with lower mileage, clean, stock (this car is bone stock) that will be reliable and fun to drive.

From what I've gathered, the 3v cars can go 12's with basic bolt ons/exhaust, gears, and a tune. Is that correct?

Opinions are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok a 5.0 isn't in the works for u but u r willing to pay 17-19 for a 07 gt with 305hp when u can probably get a 2012 v6 with 305hp for around that same price range and if u go on americanmuscle.come their v6 is running 11's but that's just my two cents

I've been surfing the 05-09 GT for a few months, and prices vary
but seem to follow what you would find on kbb or edmunds (I'm
in Northern VA). I use that as a guide -and there are all sorts of
methods of dealing with a dealer. Check the prices there. Compare
at cars.com too.

For the 11+ v6. It is has HP, and can be tuned ... but, that butt!
New v6 base '12, with Performance Package here is offered at
$24,700 w/tax&tags. Looking at carmax site, bringing up a v6
that is an 11 to a similar level would bring the cost up to about
new level. They can sound awesome if you check out youtube
videos ... but, not a v8 sound. I think in the years ahead, the
10-12 with the skyward pointing butt will be the least desired ...

The 07 sounds like the car you want. Just go in there and be prepared
to wheel and deal with them, thats what car salesman do. They arnt
really serious about the asking price. Lowball em and walk out if you have to.
You can always come back a few days later. Sometimes they will call
you back a couple of days later with an offer.

way over-priced, I wouldn't consider that a whole lot. I'd say look around the 16k range, I'll go more in depth after a few more replies because I have to head to one of those lovely things they call a meeting. Do yourself a favor, go to New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com surf the mustangs within a 200-300 mile radius to you and see what some similar ones are. I just know here in fl, that's a 15-17K car, not a 20K

It's not way over priced but it is on the high side. I paid 19,900 for mine from a private seller in March. It is an 08 GT/CS convertible with 45k miles. He was asking 21,900. I shopped around for months beforehand and knew what they were going for at the time. Good luck, it's an awesome car. Don't get the V6. It's still a V6.;)

Ok a 5.0 isn't in the works for u but u r willing to pay 17-19 for a 07 gt with 305hp when u can probably get a 2012 v6 with 305hp for around that same price range and if u go on americanmuscle.come their v6 is running 11's but that's just my two cents

I'm not interested in a V6, but if I was, I wouldn't be able to get one with the options I wanted under 25k.

I've been surfing the 05-09 GT for a few months, and prices vary
but seem to follow what you would find on kbb or edmunds (I'm
in Northern VA). I use that as a guide -and there are all sorts of
methods of dealing with a dealer. Check the prices there. Compare
at cars.com too.

For the 11+ v6. It is has HP, and can be tuned ... but, that butt!
New v6 base '12, with Performance Package here is offered at
$24,700 w/tax&tags. Looking at carmax site, bringing up a v6
that is an 11 to a similar level would bring the cost up to about
new level. They can sound awesome if you check out youtube
videos ... but, not a v8 sound. I think in the years ahead, the
10-12 with the skyward pointing butt will be the least desired ...

I looked at NADA and the value was 20-21k. High to me, I don't think they account for the fact that it's freaking hard to sell a car these days.

The new V6's are great cars, especially the '11's, but it's just not what I'm interested in. Definitely have potential.

The 07 sounds like the car you want. Just go in there and be prepared
to wheel and deal with them, thats what car salesman do. They arnt
really serious about the asking price. Lowball em and walk out if you have to.
You can always come back a few days later. Sometimes they will call
you back a couple of days later with an offer.

Yeah I could not see paying 19k for the car. 16k is ideal, 17k would be top I could realistically do right now.

way over-priced, I wouldn't consider that a whole lot. I'd say look around the 16k range, I'll go more in depth after a few more replies because I have to head to one of those lovely things they call a meeting. Do yourself a favor, go to New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com surf the mustangs within a 200-300 mile radius to you and see what some similar ones are. I just know here in fl, that's a 15-17K car, not a 20K

Compared to the other cars on AutoTrader it's right along the lines of comparable cars. I think everyone is asking more than normal in hopes of getting what they actually need out of the car when a deal is finally met.

Found some in the 16k range but the mileage is generally more than I'm interested in. I found an '05 with 89k for $13k. Leather, 5 speed, etc. Nice car but I bought my car with just a few thousand more and I just want a lower mile ride.

It's not way over priced but it is on the high side. I paid 19,900 for mine from a private seller in March. It is an 08 GT/CS convertible with 45k miles. He was asking 21,900. I shopped around for months beforehand and knew what they were going for at the time. Good luck, it's an awesome car. Don't get the V6. It's still a V6.;)

You got a great deal on yours. I've been passively looking for a while, but I'm in a position now where I can make something happen.

I went and looked at the car tonight... man it's nice.

Only flaws I noticed were two spots on the front of the hood (on the crease, on the very front edge of the hood) where the paint has bubbled, and there are some noticeable (but fixable) surface scratches on one part of the roof where it looks like someone maybe ran a bracelet across it.

The dealership had already closed, so I didn't see the interior completely or drive it, but it looks to have been well taken care of. It has the remainder of the 5/60k warranty, but I have also looked into an extended Ford plan up to 100k basically.

I'm interested in going back tomorrow, but I don't know if this is right for me or not... the car is awesome, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to be let down if it's not everything I expect in the newer GT's. Two of my good buddies have SN195 cars and I think they're awesome... maybe a good test drive is what I'll need to decide, haha. I know I'll miss my GT though.

As it sits, they're asking too much. It'd have to be a 16.5-17k out the door deal for me to be serious about buying.

No way you get 17K out the door. That car is worth way more than that.

In what market? I know according to NADA and KBB it is, but it's a 4, almost 5 year old car. Now most people are buying brand new, economical cars in the $20k area or just going for less expensive used models and saving some money.

Plus, some dealers are selling 2010 GT's for 22-24k which makes it even harder to move the 07-09 cars that are being listed at a similar price.

I'm sure they wouldn't take 17k unless they were desperate to sell it, but that's about the best I could do with it.

Go for 17k. I was looking at cars.com in my area and there are quite a few
06 and 07 GT's with similar milage going between 18k and 17k.
You may have to go to17.5k. If your taking out a loan with ford motor co.
they will like you even more since they will be hitting you with interest charges.I got my 06 1 year ago for 18k with 35k on it, and they gave
me 8.5k on my 04 trade in. I wasnt expecting that good of a deal as they
had the car listed as Certified at 21k. I low balled them and played the
back and forth game where the salesman keeps going to the manager
with offers and counter offers.:D

Not that it really matters, but the last year mustangs had DSG was 2004. The color your saw is just like a dark gray like you said. The DSG had a beautiful flake in the paint

Go for 17k. I was looking at cars.com in my area and there are quite a few
06 and 07 GT's with similar milage going between 18k and 17k.
You may have to go to17.5k. If your taking out a loan with ford motor co.
they will like you even more since they will be hitting you with interest charges.I got my 06 1 year ago for 18k with 35k on it, and they gave
me 8.5k on my 04 trade in. I wasnt expecting that good of a deal as they
had the car listed as Certified at 21k. I low balled them and played the
back and forth game where the salesman keeps going to the manager
with offers and counter offers.:D

I wish it was at a Ford dealership, but it's at a Nissan dealership. If I got 5k on my trade in I think I'd be doing really good, but I don't see that happening. I'd be better off to sell outright I think.

If I went forward with it, there'd be a lot of back and forth dealing I imagine... ha.

For comparison, I recent bought the blue '07 GT pictured at the link below. Premium model, auto-trans, low-milage (7,200 miles ... now has 8,600 miles), plus all the Ford Racing Products that turn it into a Shelby GT without the badges (3.73 rear gear in lieu of 3.55). Paid $22K. I was all set to buy a used 2011 V6, but like the OP said, that butt is butt-ugly.

Hoowasat's Garage :: Red, White & Blue

Nice 'Stang. Sounds like you ended up with the right car.

Not that it really matters, but the last year mustangs had DSG was 2004. The color your saw is just like a dark gray like you said. The DSG had a beautiful flake in the paint

I looked it up, it's Alloy Clearcoat Metallic... I love it.

There's also an '05 I found. One owner, leather, 5 speed, Shaker, etc. It has higher mileage than the '07 (89k), but looks to have been well taken care of.

They're asking $13.2k for it, I'm thinking it could go for less than that. Better option? My idea was to buy a lower mileage car, but if it was the "right" car, I wouldn't oppose starting off with more miles.

There's also an '05 I found. One owner, leather, 5 speed, Shaker, etc. It has higher mileage than the '07 (89k), but looks to have been well taken care of.

They're asking $13.2k for it, I'm thinking it could go for less than that. Better option? My idea was to buy a lower mileage car, but if it was the "right" car, I wouldn't oppose starting off with more miles.

I'd probably pass on anything with that kind of miles for over $10k...I would try and find yourself an '05-'06 with around 40k-50k miles...those should be readily available in your price range, I would think.