opinions on a new motor

jete

Jul 23, 2006
Lexington Kentucky
I just pulled a 351 from my 83 mustang and I was looking to put a 5.0 with a roller cam back in since my friend at the junkyard gave me a good deal on a set of gt-40 heads from an explorer. I was gonna get me a performer intake for the performer carb I got on it. I was gonna use this car as a daily driver I could abuse. I was wanting to kind of keep it lower torque and lower horsepower but to a point where I can have fun but also not really worry to much about breaking my stuff. The transmission is kind of weak. It was a c4 I was using on the 351 which is about at the end of its life. Was thinking about rebuilding it. The rearend is one of the 7.5's so I was thinking of getting a 8.8 for it with a 4.10 trak lok from a junkyard and getting it rebuilt. The only other performance add on I was kind of looking at was a mild cam and a fresh valvetrain. (Springs, retainers, seals, rods, rockers and valves just to make sure im not loosing anything with the cam. The rest of the motor I was going to keep pretty much stock though, as I heard the stock 302 blocks werent the toughest blocks out there, which is the reason I wanted to keep it kinda low profile on the performance sector. Any suggestions for ignition, fuel delivery (Stock as of now), or suspension? I dont have a radio in my car either... Its my fun car. I want to abuse it... but I want it to take it. Exhaust wise I already have some shorty headers with a h pipe and flowmasters out the back. Any input would be welcome and appriciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to convert the 351 to a roller cam along with the GT40 heads, and have exactly what you're looking for, with the thought of knowing your block isn't the weak point. The 351 with the GT40 heads and say an Eddy Performer intake topped with a 600cfm carb should be mild enough to not worry about breaking things (the C4 should handle it with ease once rebuilt), but wild enough to handle the abuse you're talking about. The C4 is a good transmission, so I'd rebuild it and go from there.