Opinions on a nitrous set-up

Redfire03GT

Sep 10, 2003
Newark, CA.
Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions on nitrous set-ups.

This is what I want to do.

I'd like to get a small, conservative shot, around 75, using the 'safest' application possible. I don't mind overkilling the safety factor at all, if there is even a way to do so.

Basically, a rpm window switch, wot switch, bottle heater, purge, etc. What I dont want to end up with, is a bunch of plastic pieces from my intake all over the place.

Dry shot, wet shot, direct port, fogger, which do you guys think is the best application and why?

Thanks for any info.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a dry zex kit and I bought a wet zex kit because the cost of making the dry kit safe was going to cost a lot more than making the wet kit safe. You can get a nice complete kit from either zex or nx. I would say go wet just because if you dont, you will probably need bigger injectors, MAF and a good tune, all of which are not cheap. If you get a wet kit, w/ msd window switch set at like 3000-5500, then you should be fine. All I can say is READ READ READ everything you possibly can. Buying the dry kit first and then going back and buying the wet kit ended up costing a lot more for me than it should have. So before you bring out the Visa, do some serious research, not just around stangnet either.

Go with a wet kit. With a dry kit you will need a custom tune to adjust the a/f ratio. On a wet kit you just use the fuel jets to determine your final a/f ratio. If you have a good tuner in the area, then a dry kit would work as well.

You will need a window switch (MSD makes a really good digital one) and a bottle heater. If you don't have a bottle heater your pressure will usually be around 800psi or so depending on the weather and you will never get a full shot.

A purge is more to look cool than be necessary. I don't want one for the reason that I want to ensure that the fuel has been added to the engine prior to the nitrous. Without a purge the first milisecond the system is on air will come out of the nozzle giving the a/f more time to stabalize. You will also need new spark plugs (Autolite 103s work great and are cheap). And PLEASE check your a/f ratio with a wideband, this could mean the difference between a new motor or not. Also a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt if you car has alot of miles on it.

As it has been said, do alot of reading. If you have any questions feel free to ask.