opinions on a problem needed

drewzx3

Feb 7, 2004
Louisiana
I noticed this spot below on my 2011 gt i got in february. It is about the size of an eraser head on a pencil. Showed a dealer body shop and they said it was covered up to 3 years by the warranty or 36k miles and that they thought it ws piece of trash under the paint and not rust. So should I paint on a new car or wait awhile before I have it done?

Attachments

• mustang paint.jpg
    mustang paint.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Sponsors (?)

Have it fixed before it ends up being something major like oxidation or something that'll start messing up your paint. Had a small spot on my 2004 gt and thought nothing of it. And as time went by it grew larger and larger. And jst ended up having awful oxidation all over the hood of my my gt :-(

My wife bought a new eclipse in 08. There was a small imperfection in the paint on the front. Barely noticable. The dealer said they would fix it so you would never know. a year later the clear coat started peeling. looks ten times worse than it did.
I think id leave it alone.

drewzx3,

The paint warranty is valid 3 years or 36,000 miles, but I recommend addressing it as soon as possible. With summer coming, the heat may make it worse, so it is best to have it taken care of.

redcandystang5.0,

That is unfortunate that the clearcoat peeled on your other car. :( I do think drewzx3 should address it now as even the repair will be covered under the warranty.
~Natasha

an update on paint

So my Race Red 2011 V6 was hit from behind when it was just under a month old. The damage was limited to two or three nicks/chips/dents in the rear bumper cover, plus a couple of dings in the rear valance. Since the valance is molded in that grey color, it just gets replaced. The bumper cover gets spot paint repairs, blended in to hide the end of the paint work. It's a visual trick so that you don't see obvious borders between new paint and old where panels come together. After paint, the entire panel gets clear coated, off the car where possible. Surprisingly, the foam absorber under the bumper cover didn't need replacement, though I expected it to. The other party had decent insurance, so all this is locked up.
Now all this close scrutiny led to me finding three factory defects, one chip in an unlikely place and two little nibs or bumps where trash had landed during the painting process. I figured it made sense to do the warranty work while doing the accident repair, so I hit up my dealer service manager and he agreed. He consented to allow my shop to do the work on two conditions. First, verifiable quality to Ford standards (simple, they do his competitor's work across town) and then the cost needed to be within the allowance Ford gives for such work (no issue here, after a short negotiation).
This is where it get's fun. The paint shop rolled the car in under the flourescent tubes and inspected every inch of the car, finding another 5 or 6 blemishes all down one side of the car. Clearly, my car experienced some sort of event during paint. Now the entire driver's side is getting refinished compliments of Ford and the rear bumper compliments of my neighbor kid. This is no small job. All plastic has been removed from the driver's side and the driver's side quarter glass was pulled. The hood is coming off and the deck lid was removed. Door glass, handle and mirror are off. Everything. Kinda scarey at first, but these guys are good.
But wait! There's more! The placement of the repaint on the driver's fender meant that they would probably need to refinish the hood, too, so that the color blend could be done to hide the transition between old and new on the front. This should just be an added cost to Ford, but I had other ideas. Before all this happened, I was already getting quotes for painting or wrapping the front bumper and hood in black to mimic the red & black BOSS Mustangs driven by Parnelli Jones and George Follmer in the 1969 Trans-Am series. Many of you already know where I'm headed, I'm sure. Anyways, I worked out a deal at minimal cost for my paint shop to paint my hood black while they repair everything else in red. I already have the blacked out rear deck lid, so when my car comes home on Monday, it should closely resemble a 1969 BOSS color scheme. I have no plans for the BOSS stripes, though anything is possible. (no interest in being that guy with a V6 that pretends it's a BOSS 302) I do want to have a little tribute to the George Follmer car, though, so this is a start. I may have a ghosted number added to the hood, perhaps white out the roof, but Hell, I might go wild and do all the sponsor decals and everything.

Here's what you need to know about these little nibs or bumps in the clear coat. You MIGHT get lucky and be able to buff them out, BUT don't even try unless you are prepared to go to paint. This is why: The trash in my paint was in the clear. It stuck up a little after everything dried, so you could feel it with your bare finger, but it was very hard to see without just the right light. When the clear covered the debris, it flowed around it and under it, glueing it to the color coat. The buffer cut the top off this in one case, leaving a noticable dark spot where the trash had been. This is actually a hole in the clear and remnats of the debris in the color. Not good. In another, the nib broke off under the buffer and took part of the color with it. That means a hole right on down to the primer under the color.
In both cases, refinishing was necessary, but that was uncertain until they tried buffing. Should you wait? The consensus is no. You really want the old paint and the new to sun fade together so that the difference doesn't show in a couple of years. I am a former collision pro, so I'll tell you this, ALL colors fade. If you have blemishes from the factory, get them fixed now.

I'll post up a pic of the car when it comes back this week. Stay tuned.

264938_10150205669879538_743994537_7217668_3224609_n.jpg

So I visited the paint shop today to see why they are two days overdue. They found about 10 total blemishes on the one side and it looks great! I also had them painting the hood, so I was looking it iver really close and there it was, about 4 of the same kinds of blemishes in the new paint on the hood.
These guys are good, but still got bit. It goes to show, anyone will have issues. They promise it will come home tomorrow, so here I patiently wait.

So I visited the paint shop today to see why they are two days overdue. They found about 10 total blemishes on the one side and it looks great! I also had them painting the hood, so I was looking it iver really close and there it was, about 4 of the same kinds of blemishes in the new paint on the hood.
These guys are good, but still got bit. It goes to show, anyone will have issues. They promise it will come home tomorrow, so here I patiently wait.

good luck with yours.