SN95 Opinions On Catalytic Converters

RaggedGT

check back later..
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
Taylorsville ky
I have a 1994 Mustang GT and it STINKS!!!!!! lol what I mean is; it's a fairly stock 5.0 with a unknown letter cam,shortie headers,stock pipes with gutted converters and Thrush 2 Chamber Flowmaster knock off mufflers.
Now that's it's Nice weather time again I'm going to finally fix the busted Aode and some oil leaks. But while I have it apart I'd like to weld in some high flow after market converters to get rid of some of the Stink that is my car. So what's everybody using? Thoughts/Opinions/ recommendations ?

And a side question-which I've asked before and got some good feedback but my intentions may have been a little obscure lol. I have a set of GT40 heads and a lower intake,I'm saving up for a tubular GT40 and a throttle body. If I put the heads,intake and bigger throttle body on will the stock computer be able to adjust and adapt to the changes? Thank you all for reading my long questions lol

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1994 Mustang GT and it STINKS!!!!!! lol what I mean is; it's a fairly stock 5.0 with a unknown letter cam,shortie headers,stock pipes with gutted converters and Thrush 2 Chamber Flowmaster knock off mufflers.
Now that's it's Nice weather time again I'm going to finally fix the busted Aode and some oil leaks. But while I have it apart I'd like to weld in some high flow after market converters to get rid of some of the Stink that is my car. So what's everybody using? Thoughts/Opinions/ recommendations ?

And a side question-which I've asked before and got some good feedback but my intentions may have been a little obscure lol. I have a set of GT40 heads and a lower intake,I'm saving up for a tubular GT40 and a throttle body. If I put the heads,intake and bigger throttle body on will the stock computer be able to adjust and adapt to the changes? Thank you all for reading my long questions lol
I've heard the the 94/95 computers are a little more of a PITA with modding so maybe somebody else can comment on that. As far as the stinky gas smell goes I'm curious if you're running high octane like 91-93? When I did that, even with 14* timing, my car stank big time. Switching back to 87 while keeping it at 14* was the cure. Also my door and hatch seals are torn and let in the outside air and that contributes a little. Look for these type of things. FYI, I have an o/r H pipe and my car does not stink inside the car even while sitting at a red light with the windows down.

i pretty much always run Regular 87 in it..I haven't checked the timing in awhile,and it does at time run pig rich-but not always. The fume smells where way worse back when it still had bullet mufflers and rotted mid pipes. I replaced the mid pipes and welded on the Thrush knock offs , went over the factory H and fixed a few spots around the hollow cats and it honestly did not help as much as I thought it would lol
My door seals seem to be in good shape and the seal on my trunk doesn't seem to ever let water in. At this point anything is possible. Thanks for giving me some stuff to look for

Not that this will be of much help, but here I go anyhow.
With my truck, I have to periodically take it on a longer drive (150-200 miles) because the exhaust begins to get a rotten egg smell.
That has always cleared up that smell.
I usually just drive to and from work each day (10 miles total).
I live so close to where things are in Tulsa that I really don't have to drive far for anything.
So, not much chance for everything to really heat up to full operating temperature.
I don't want to sway you from buying new parts though.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
you have gutted cats- if you don't like the exhaust smell, then put a set of cats and smog equipment back on. BBK makes a set I think.

I would make sure the springs on the heads match the cam you are installing. WIth an AOD and especially an SN95 car,i will bet you'll need a tune. Make sure your fuel pump is up to the task. I'd go with at least a 155lph pump. You already have a 70mm MAF and the 19# injectors are fine for your mild setup

Reactions: 1 users
you have gutted cats- if you don't like the exhaust smell, then put a set of cats and smog equipment back on. BBK makes a set I think.

Yeah pretty sure the gutted cats are my dislike for the exhaust smell-kinda why I was asking about high flow converters :) lol. when I do the heads do you think I should replace the cam? I bought the car a few years ago exactly like it is other than mufflers and a lot of maintenance/repair stuff- guy I bought it from had a machine shop ticket where the motor was gone through but it literally said "Ford Letter Cam" on the invoice lol

Not that this will be of much help, but here I go anyhow.
With my truck, I have to periodically take it on a longer drive (150-200 miles) because the exhaust begins to get a rotten egg smell.
That has always cleared up that smell.
I usually just drive to and from work each day (10 miles total).
I live so close to where things are in Tulsa that I really don't have to drive far for anything.
So, not much chance for everything to really heat up to full operating temperature.
I don't want to sway you from buying new parts though.:rolleyes:

I haven't daily driven it for awhile, but usually when I drive it to work and home it's a 60 mile round trip :)
If I can calm down its periodically pig rich scenario-make sure I don't have any bad door seals and add some high flow cats to it I'm sure it will be more tolerable lol

Yeah pretty sure the gutted cats are my dislike for the exhaust smell-kinda why I was asking about high flow converters :) lol. when I do the heads do you think I should replace the cam? I bought the car a few years ago exactly like it is other than mufflers and a lot of maintenance/repair stuff- guy I bought it from had a machine shop ticket where the motor was gone through but it literally said "Ford Letter Cam" on the invoice lol

up to you on the cam. If you don't know what cam is in their hard to say. Does the car have a lope now? PRobaIbly a b or e cam.. IF it were me and you are going through the time and effor to change heads, you might as well change the cam, timing chain and gear, and check the lifters. Regardless, you need to change the stock springs on explorer heads as they are for a non ho cam that is very mild. TFS and Alex's parts sells springs.

I am not a fan or alphabet cams. There are much better choices like the TFS1 or Comp cams Extreme 258 or 264.

Reactions: 1 users
Couldn't be happier now that I have a new set of Magnaflow 59926 Spun Metallic's on my car. Knocked the stink right off, and even passed emissions with an E cam and no air pump. This is my second set of these, and I didn't hesitate to replace them with the same thing, given the road course abuse the first set took for years before they gave up.

up to you on the cam. If you don't know what cam is in their hard to say. Does the car have a lope now? PRobaIbly a b or e cam.. IF it were me and you are going through the time and effor to change heads, you might as well change the cam, timing chain and gear, and check the lifters. Regardless, you need to change the stock springs on explorer heads as they are for a non ho cam that is very mild. TFS and Alex's parts sells springs.

I am not a fan or alphabet cams. There are much better choices like the TFS1 or Comp cams Extreme 258 or 264.

Thanks man,I'll start doing my homework on cams etc. and gather my parts. Do it all at one time.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for
Couldn't be happier now that I have a new set of Magnaflow 59926 Spun Metallic's on my car. Knocked the stink right off, and even passed emissions with an E cam and no air pump. This is my second set of these, and I didn't hesitate to replace them with the same thing, given the road course abuse the first set took for years before they gave up.

I'm sold man.. A set of those spun magnaflow a will be finding there way onto my junk :)

image.jpeg
If you want to go through the hassle...if it's an alphabet cam it will have its designation stamped onto the end of the cam. You just have to strip it down and look lol. Waste of time really but just a FYI B303 for example. But like Mike said go with a comp 258,264,tfs 1,AFM n41,and Lunati has a good grind for gt40's(I can't remember the designation). Any of those would be a better choice but with your other parts there isn't a big performance difference.