opinions on cobra brake kits

njoliver

Nov 25, 2009
Columbus OH
Hey guys, havent work on my car in like 4 months due to other projects....but any ways I am getting ready to do the 5 lug/ disk brake upgrade. I am thinking about getting the cobra brake kit because it has everything. but I am just wondering for the 3,000 bucks the kit cost, could I get a better brake kit for the same money or a little more?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, havent work on my car in like 4 months due to other projects....but any ways I am getting ready to do the 5 lug/ disk brake upgrade. I am thinking about getting the cobra brake kit because it has everything. but I am just wondering for the 3,000 bucks the kit cost, could I get a better brake kit for the same money or a little more?

3 Grand? Damn! that's a lot, look around and you'll find them for much less, a quick search yielded $2,449.00 from steeda Ford Racing "Cobra" Brake Conversion Kit for 1979 thru 1993 Ford Mustang

I personally think even the $2500 shipped price is way to steep considering the other routes you can take to greatly improve the braking performance, but if that seems worth it to you then why not go for the complete kit I guess.

Good Lord that's craziness. Like 5L5 I put mine together years ago for under a grand....they're great breaks, but I would not spend 3k for those breaks, thinking about it, I wouldnt spend 2k for them

For $2,500 chit better come with wheels and all... SO many less expensive ways to do this!

+1 to this

$150 for my 95GT spindles
$100 for 13" rotors
$280 for loaded Cobra calipers with SS braided hoses
$150 for ranger drums and axles
$100 for 95 GT Moog ball joints

Didn't have to swap anything else and it stops as good as my 99 Cobra.

Are you guys nuts spending 2500-3000? Dude, peice it together at a salvage yard as far as spindles and axles go, and buy the rotors/drums, pads, hoses, and calipers new at an AP store. PBR 11" front calipers are only 35-45 bucks a peice, the brackets are roughly 30-35 a peice, same goes for rears. Cobra front calipers are a little more, but still much more affordable than these kits charge you.

I do understand some people don't want the hassle of searching through boneyards or bidding off ebay. Some people like brandy new stuff fresh out of the box all labeled with directions. But if you want this, you are going to pay.

But I am one of those that hates used parts, but the cost difference is enough that I made due with a mix of new/used parts when i did mine. Cost for M2300K was $2K at the time..i did it for $700-1000 with new and used parts. Now with it being $3500K...you can still do mostly new, but separate and still be cheaper

Honestly...get some 2-piston 99-04 PBR's for $50 and some sn95 rear disks...can prob put it together for $500ish and stop pretty damn good. Our cars are light, and those PBR's are great brakes. They might fade on an open track and lack the "bling bling" factor behind 17" wheels...but they are great every day car brakes. WHy do you think a good chunk of cars on the road these days run the same style brake

Im debating with using the PBR's or saving up for the set of Cobras.. I have the PBR's already. Got them cheap and have been on my shelf. I plan on being around the 450 hp range when all said and done, will the PBR's be enough? Or do you think I will need the Cobras? Also I have manual brakes and really don't want to change that if I dont have to, so keep that in mind.

Well, the cobras are obviously a better brake due to leverage. Do you need it? Hard to say. The gt brakes have always seemed more of a "drag/street" brake while the cobra is more of an "road race" brake. I mean that because the more heat the brakes see, the better the cobra brakes will last. On the street, you maybe need to brake hard only once in a while, so the brakes have time to cool. If you are constantly driving aggressively, then you mightnwant the cobra brakes.

Really depends on the type of car you want to have and the sort of driver you are

In that case, wither brake epwill be fine. Pick what you want.

Will it work well with manual brakes? Depends. The gt pbrs are slightly bigger caliper so they may be more responsive

A google search shows a few vendors still selling in the $2500 range.

Of course, doesn't mean they have the kit. I've ordered stuff before only to get the "item has been discontinued" email 4 weeks later :(