Opinions on dogs

First off, there is nothing wrong with mutts. They are usually healthier because they don't have the imbreeding that is sometimes a problem with purebreds. My uncle has a 1/2 black lab and 1/2 german shepard dog that is absolutely awesome. She loves everyone and almost never barks.

Two of my neighbors have purebred german shepards that were never properly socialized so they are extremely vicious and I wouldn't want to go within 50 feet of them without a lead pipe (if it's me or the dog, it's the dog).

True that german shepards can trained to be friendly when they are socialized properly as puppies, they were bred to be police and attack dogs first and pets second. I used to work for a guy whose wife bred and showed german shorthaired pointers (awesome hunting breed) she was the one that told me this and the term for this meanstreak among breaders is called "sharp".

The most important thing you can do with any dog is to be able to give it the attention it needs as a puppy. I dogs are a more time intensive pet than alot of people realize. If you want a pet that doesn't require much from you, get a cat. Keep their food and water dish full and they're all set. You never know when they will ignore you next.

BTW, a guy I went to college with and his girlfriend had an Akita. Pretty cool dog, very big. . .

• Sponsors (?)

Swarzkopf said:
That's too bad. You're missing out on two great breeds.
As I said, I wouldn't trade my Pitbull for any other dog.
I don't think I'm missing anything, neither are dogs I'd have with children. Just my gut feeling that a pit and children don't go together....Besides, the feeling you have about your Pitbull, I have about my Akita.:nice:
illwood said:
Two of my neighbors have purebred german shepards that were never properly socialized so they are extremely vicious and I wouldn't want to go within 50 feet of them without a lead pipe (if it's me or the dog, it's the dog).
That's too bad for the dogs, they ended up with irresponsible owners :nonono:. If the breeder is breeding them for a 'nasty' temperment, that's what they look for when pairing them up. It was part of our purchase contract that we HAD to socialize our Akita(Petsmart, dog park, the whole deal), AND go through at least 2 obedience courses with the dog! And stated in the contract that they were bred to be even tempered. She loves people/attention when she's out in public, but will bark quite a bit if a stranger comes to her front door. And isn't overly trusting of strangers in her home. :D
illwood said:
The most important thing you can do with any dog is to be able to give it the attention it needs as a puppy. I dogs are a more time intensive pet than alot of people realize. If you want a pet that doesn't require much from you, get a cat. Keep their food and water dish full and they're all set. You never know when they will ignore you next.

BTW, a guy I went to college with and his girlfriend had an Akita. Pretty cool dog, very big. . .

Truer words were never spoken....That's why I suggested that SexyStang 'investigate' different breeds of dogs....some are less 'needy' than others.

Yeah our Akita is pretty big, but will follow the direction of my 7yr old girl w/o hesitation.

94_Teal_GT said:
I don't think I'm missing anything, neither are dogs I'd have with children. Just my gut feeling that a pit and children don't go together....Besides, the feeling you have about your Pitbull, I have about my Akita.:nice:

Our pit has been nicer to kids than my beagle ever was. Any dog can be mean and any dog can be nice. It is all in the way you raise it. Pits tend to be meaner bc people make them that way. Main reason is just bc they are so strong. Pits are pound for pound the stongest dog.

Dustin

SeventyMach1 said:
Someday.... I will gather enough $$$ to get me an Italian Greyhound....

I have a Whippet (my third dog). He is a teddy bear. Would never get a different kind of dog now that Ive had a Whippet. Only problem is -- you can never let them off the leash out in the open.

Spaniels and Pugs are some of the best dogs for children... very tolerant, very passive. My rabbit's vet has 4 pugs, all rescues, and my rabbit can actually play with them if I'd let him.

Terriers are good with children, too, but whoever said they bark WAY too much is absolutely right.

I had a collie as a small kid. Extremely smart dog, passive, and very protective of me. I don't know if our family just got a superlative example of a collie, but if you have the space to let one run around, I'd recommend one.

I got a Pit/ Lab mix and I love her.. the thing about bigger dogs though they're more prone to hip and back problems so, if getting a pup start her with glucosamine as soon as possible. I have 3 Dalmatians, 4 Japanese Spits ( all back home), cept my pit/lab