Opinions on Steeroids R&P conversion

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a Steeroids owner

but if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have done it. Randall's is better on a budget, probably TCP if there is no budget. Not that I have found anything wrong with it - on the contrary, it's performed with no hitches, but I did buy the expensive KRC power steering pump from TCP. The original one whined a lot on slow speed turns.

The problem with it is the flexible design, with the two main mounting points of carrier to rack so close together in the middle, and the mount points of the carrier being fairly flimsy. There is a way to reinforce them, and I have plans to do it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Still works great about 3 years after I had it installed though, with wide 245 tires to boot!

i'm not saying the Steeroids is a bad kit kit by an means, just that i think Randalls is a little better. to add one more to the J-car rack kits Unisteer has just come out with their power rack kit and it too uses the J-car rack. it also looks to be maybe a little better than the Steeroids kit because of the mounting cage/frame they use. i can't find it on their website right now because it's so new but i do have a pic of it

Attachments

• 69-stang-unisteer-power-ra copy.JPG
    69-stang-unisteer-power-ra copy.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 206
steeroids

i live in the philippines and had a steeroids rack sent to me. i have to say not only was the install easy it was exactly as planned and took a total of 15 minutes to line up.

its actually the only thing i have received for my car that was 100% bolt in.

randy at steeeroids is totally helpful and i am very satisfied.

never used any other kit so i cant comment.

i have a 65 coupe

i'm not saying the Steeroids is a bad kit kit by an means, just that i think Randalls is a little better. to add one more to the J-car rack kits Unisteer has just come out with their power rack kit and it too uses the J-car rack. it also looks to be maybe a little better than the Steeroids kit because of the mounting cage/frame they use. i can't find it on their website right now because it's so new but i do have a pic of it

Which kit are you showing? Isn't the location of the input shaft too far in the middle of that system that the universal joints would be binding? Isn't a system with an input shaft close to the old steering box better for this?

Which kit are you showing? Isn't the location of the input shaft too far in the middle of that system that the universal joints would be binding? Isn't a system with an input shaft close to the old steering box better for this?

the top kit is the manual steer rack for the mustangs, several people have installed them and some have had u-joint problems but they've all been able to get them worked out with unisteer to the best of my knowledge, this required using 3 u-joints. the bottom kit is the power rack and it's just a J-car rack like the Steeroids and Randalls units. the input shaft placement on the power rack should be fine.