Opinions on street car motors

10.5:1 cr, I've taken myself out of the boost option. Would be fun, but $3000 is ALOT for minimal boost pressures....remember street car=pump gas.
100% sure on needing a new intake...leaning towards TFS R intake, custom cam
I have some decisions to make regarding heads. If I left the heads alone (lot less work + $) do you think there is alot of power to be made with better intake and custom cam? Maybe bigger 80mm MAF + 36lb injectors?
absolutely to all of the above. you can always take the heads to have them reworked later, but personally I think that with a custom cam and a bigger intake you are going to love the results.

• Sponsors (?)

Why does everyone keep telling him to get AFR's????
No idea
He has victor Jr's on the car. Those heads with a good port job are way better than AFR's.
YES!
If i was you, this is what i would do.

Pull the Victor Heads, send them to fox lake, edelbrock(i think they offer porting now), or any other competetive CNC porter and get them fully ported.
Agree. Or TEA
Sell that GT40 and get a TFS r-series.
Agree
And upgrade the valvetrain and get a custom cam. If it was me i'd put a solid roller in, but alot of people are scurred of them, a hydraulic with the proper valvetrain will make plenty of power.

Also port match whatever intake you buy.

With all this you should have a well matched street engine and i dont see why it wouldnt make an easy 400RWHP on a bady day
Call Jay Allen at Camshaft Innovations and tell him what you want. Those heads will work great ported, and with a good intake and custom solid roller the thing will drive fine and absolutely rip. I'm telling you, this is the guy to call, end of story. Don't believe all this "streetable low-end torque" bull ****. The cam is what's going to make or break the combo, and if it's done right the combo will really work. Even with big heads and a crazy intake.

Personally I would put a Super Victor EFI intake on with an elbow and 90mm throttle body. Don't listen to the 8500rpm thing, just tell Jay what you're using, and it will work. Ask him.
Thread states street car motor sounds like u want to build him a nice track engine and spend a ton of money with all that porting from fox lake and not have great street manners?, im not saying your plans not gonna make more HP in the end. Im saying if hes looking for a great street motor then selling his vic jr getting some afr 205s with a good custom grind cam and a SCT II tune will be more streetable then the setup ur talking about. Yeah GT 40 upper and lower is questionable sizewise but so was my cobra, i had more than a few on forums telling me my engine wasn't gonna put down 300RWHP on the dyno in the end my untouched chinese cobra intake made 382RWHP and 404RWT before weather correction on a mustang dyno way more than alot guessed and all of my power comes on before 5500RPMs car idles and drives great with tons of street power amazing torque. Your idea would probably make more HP and do a better ET, my idea would cost a lot less and be better on the street.......... people are saying AFRs from seeing how many people run them at track and on the street with great results
No offense, nothing personal, but you're living off and preaching hear-say and old wivestales. It's all bull ****. My buddy's high compression 408 with 225cc heads and a nearly .700" lift custom solid roller with a super victor intake drives fine on the street. He only spins it to 6500 and it rips off the bottom harder than you can even imagine.

Bottom line, camshaft, camshaft, camshaft. Call Jay, tell him your goals, and you will have a nasty little street motor. You have a good start to work with. That thing should make 450/450 to the tires easy.

Just by switching cams and valve springs my brothers GT40P car went from 12.2xs consistent to a couple 11.8xs. Didn't lose a thing down low and even being that slow has more than the street can handle from stoplight to stoplight.

Keep the heads, upgrade them with the custom cam you have chosen, better intake and some small supporting mods.

Don't worry about a dyno number. If your not a track guy, don't even worry about that (although that gives a good idea of how the car will run compared to others, if your interested in that thing) just drive the car and enjoy it.

LMAO!!! i new it woudn't take long before half of new england rang in...................so the word is everybody out there with 331 347 351 357 sell your GT40 intake for a vic jr for your street car

LMAO!!! i new it woudn't take long before half of new england rang in...................so the word is everybody out there with 331 347 351 357 sell your GT40 intake for a vic jr for your street car

Listen, just cause you picked your intake cause it looks red and shiney(pretty sure i read that somewhere), dosent mean that he should sacrifice power. How often do you flat foot it at 3000 rpms? People have given you inteligent responses and you come back with something about new england, mabye instead of showing you my dyno sheet i should have said nice new haircut. I think you should stick to the show scene.

To be honest when i bought my heads and intake, i bought them with boost in mind, but my compression turned out to be too high, so i was worried that the big 205 head and the R-intake would kill the car under 4000rpm's, but it didnt at all, the motor is the snappiest most responsive thing ive ever driven. You were even told that intake was gonna hurt you for power, its not like someone said hey, keep that cobra intake cause its gonna be killer off idle, you chose to compromise power for looks.

WTF im not gonna waste my time after this post i had the cobra intake and valve covers powdercoated to that ****ing pretty shiny color red thats what i wanted and it turned out pretty good even rick made a comment saying that small intake made a believer out of him the numbers showed it i only chimed in on this post cause he wanted something for street without having to turn 6500rpms to make full power ive seen more than couple times changing intakes for not much gain or worse, being how good my engine turned out with my HP peaking at 5300rpms and great driveability i shared my experience .................i shouda known better from some of the bs ive read in the 5.0 tech forums in the past i gave my opinion i'll still stand by it that he should keep his intake get new heads or even port his heads not what i said originally but if he wants to keeps his heads atleast get them ported get a custom cam and a good tune this would be a good improvement with power and cost..... responses like showing me a nice new haircut instead of your dyno sheet bs..... i'll stick to the show scene u got the tech section all figured out

i just port matched a vic jr and put it on my buddies fox, 35x cubes, small cam, ported world heads, from a torker II to the vic jr, WAS A HUGE ASS DIFF!! he lost no low end tq, it pulls to 6500 so fast its unbelieveable.. easily 25hp

so why would he put bigger heads with the same small ass intake? thats the dumbest **** ive heard in a while...

10.5:1 cr, I've taken myself out of the boost option. Would be fun, but $3000 is ALOT for minimal boost pressures....remember street car=pump gas.
100% sure on needing a new intake...leaning towards TFS R intake, custom cam
I have some decisions to make regarding heads. If I left the heads alone (lot less work + $) do you think there is alot of power to be made with better intake and custom cam? Maybe bigger 80mm MAF + 36lb injectors?

AFR's flow better in the mid-range moreso than than your Jr's because the Jr's are not fully CNC'd. This is why people are going nutso over recommending the AFR's.

If I was you, I would do exactly what you are planning on doing and save some coin by foregoing the heads. New cam and TFS R will wake that puppy up big time over your current 1980's technology B cam.

(optional) Get yourself a PMS and then take it to the dyno and dial it in. You can then evaluate your injector duty cycle and that will further inform you if you need a bigger injector.

If for nothing else, the 80mm maf + 36lb injectors would support a stage 2 Vic Jr. head or AFR 205's.

Stick with hydraulic...solid roller means more wrenching...maybe not such a bad thing right now, but factor in other things later and life and it will be one more thorn in your side.

Comp and trick flow both make some good grinds as well and any tech would be happy to help you choose the right OTS cam within their respective establishments.

After reading this link below, I would even venture to say that you could probably stick with your stock 77maf and 30#'s for now.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/764730-modified-89-gt-question.html

good article read it all unless u know it all:rolleyes:............i know magazines are liars too .......i dont mind trading 25rwhp for 25rwt especially down mid to low end for a street ride. Articles right on the money my stang is proof i go out almost everyday to enjoy it without going over 5500 rpms something thats gonna keep my stock block and hyd roller valve train around for a long time

Super Intake Shootout - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

i just port matched a vic jr and put it on my buddies fox, 35x cubes, small cam, ported world heads, from a torker II to the vic jr, WAS A HUGE ASS DIFF!! he lost no low end tq, it pulls to 6500 so fast its unbelieveable.. easily 25hp

so why would he put bigger heads with the same small ass intake? thats the dumbest **** ive heard in a while...

learn how to read..... ass clown nobodys puttin on bigger heads here see if u can make thru the whole article i posted the link to and find out why i like the small ass GT40 intake over vic jr intake

oh sorry your awesomeness!!

you make no sense, how many 302/351's have you put together? Ive prolly only put 10 together, but guess what? every single engine picked up hp with a bigger a intake mani than a crap ass gt40 setup..

the op said he's not dd'ing the car, so why would he only want to rev the engine to 5k he has 20 more c.i. than you do, therefore requiring more cfm!! Im sure if he wanted a truck engine he would have a 460 in it...

to the o.p. get a vic jr and port match it, it WILL pull a **** load better than a gt40..

oh sorry your awesomeness!!

you make no sense, how many 302/351's have you put together? Ive prolly only put 10 together, but guess what? every single engine picked up hp with a bigger a intake mani than a crap ass gt40 setup..

the op said he's not dd'ing the car, so why would he only want to rev the engine to 5k he has 20 more c.i. than you do, therefore requiring more cfm!! Im sure if he wanted a truck engine he would have a 460 in it...

to the o.p. get a vic jr and port match it, it WILL pull a **** load better than a gt40..

at what rpm.............after reading what you just wrote i didnt think you would be able to read and comprehend that article or what the thread was about he didnt want big rpms
you nailed it, not a dyno bragging guy. Like driving to car shows, cruises, an occassional trip here and there which means I spend most of my time between 2000 and 5000 rpms.

.................and in the article thier using a fully capable 347 stroker take a reading lesson read the article you might learn something ....i doubt it

Not going to read the bickering but I will say that everyone in "Five Oh Land" seems to worry about low end torque. These cars make a ton of torque and don't need "small" parts to make power/torque. Everyone wants to buy long runner intakes because they want to keep "torque". That's why the Chevy LS engines run so good, they don't make the low end but they make power where it counts.

IMO everyone seems to worry about using "big" parts on these cars. Use the big stuff and have it where it counts, just like 90lxcoupes car, perfect example.

BTW, like I said I didn't read the above posts too much because of the bickering so I'm not siding with anyone on this post, just throwing my two pennies in. ;)

-Edit-
I worded that so it made no sense, nice. Oh well, screw you guys...turbo for life.:rlaugh:

Not going to read the bickering but I will say that everyone in "Five Oh Land" seems to worry about low end torque. These cars make a ton of torque and don't need "small" parts to make power/torque. Everyone wants to buy long runner intakes because they want to keep "torque". That's why the Chevy LS engines run so good, they don't make the low end but they make power where it counts.

IMO everyone seems to worry about using "big" parts on these cars. Use the big stuff and have it where it counts, just like 90lxcoupes car, perfect example.

BTW, like I said I didn't read the above posts too much because of the bickering so I'm not siding with anyone on this post, just throwing my two pennies in. ;)

-Edit-
I worded that so it made no sense, nice. Oh well, screw you guys...turbo for life.:rlaugh:

u made perfect sense i not for using small parts my parts are in my sig i feel thier the right parts to scream me thru the rpms, i just dont mind giving up a little hp on top to get more torque especially all thru the rpms. My stang pulls like a 408ci and in the end i still ended up with pretty big #s on the dyno with some say small parts:shrug:

You're not too far away. Why don't we meet up with our wallets and put that gt40 to the test? Stock 302 with an ots hyd. roller.. But my intake might be too big....

It just further proves that you have no idea what's going on by the fact that you do your learning and choose your parts by reading magazines.

Exactly
My stang pulls like a 408ci and in the end i still ended up with pretty big #s on the dyno with some say small parts:shrug:
:lol::rlaugh: