• Yes, for the Cougar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't bother

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

NoKitten

Dec 14, 2002
Room 117
I was recently informed of an oppurtunity for a free engine/tranny/car. It's a ford 400M with a c6 in a 78 car body. My question is would it be worth taking the power train and dumping the rest of the car at the junkyard?

~Meow

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a 400/c6 in my 77 F-250. I don't know what you have in your bronco or what year it is or anything really but I think it would be a good engine for a bronco.

The price is right anyway.

I forgot what your Bronco has but I'm guessing a 5.0? I'd definately take the car, get the drivetrain and ditch the rest. a 400M would be a nice engine in the Bronco unless you already have a 460. They may not make a whole lot of hp but they make up for it in torque usually. They arent tooo expensive to soup up either. Just uncommon to soup up aside from in trucks.

I voted Bronco too, I drove a '78 Bronco with the 400M/C6 combo and it worked well. The 400M is not a high performance (as in street/strip) oriented mill, it is more geared towards durability and grunt than anything and it has both of those in spades...perfect for a truck!

for those who can't remember:

here's what is currently in the bronco: 302 (circa 73), C6 auto (column shift), BW1356 t-case (non-functioning), 3.55s, 31x10.50r15s, beat up body, ugly red paint, piece meal wiring.

~meow

NoKitten said:
here's what is currently in the bronco: 302 (circa 73), C6 auto (column shift), BW1356 t-case (non-functioning), 3.55s, 31x10.50r15s, beat up body, ugly red paint, piece meal wiring.

~meow

Yea I'd definately get that 400 to put in there. Any I'd look in the junkyards at old broncos/f-series and find a nice NP205 t-case to put in that beast if I were you.

Okay, I voted "Grab it for Dammit" As long as she's living in my carport, Cleo keeps the Cleveland! You do not want to build that 400 for the Cougar - I know from painful experience back when I was 1/2's age. Find some decent breathing 2bbl heads for the 400, make it a torquer. Rebuild Cleo's 351 in next year's class; then take the 400 out of mothballs for the Bronco when you have time.

P.S. Anybody want to swap a "Shift-on-the-Fly" 1356 for a good one with a real stick on the floor? Talk to this guy!

Still Dreamin'