Opinions & thoughts on mustang trim & the shaving of it.

Britt

Founding Member
May 2, 2002
South Carolina
Well Its getting close to the time to paint my 66 mustang coupe and I cant decide on what to do with tha body. Ive already decided on a R model apron and a 67 shelby fiberglass hood. Also, the fake side scoop chrome peice is gone. Ive also decided that the car does need some chrome so the rear bumper, taillight trim, and the window molding stays. The thing im not shure about is the emblems, door handles, backup lights, gas cap, trunk lock and what ever els im forgetting.

I would like to shave the emblems because they kinda clutter the fenders, but I like the fact that my car came with a V8 and I want every one to know. But I also know that race cars dont have them and thats the look I like, but then race cars arent exactly made to look good either. Also Ive noticed the cars that have emblems shaved have door handles that stick out since its the only chrome on the side of the car so i cant decide if I need to shave the door handles. Ive noticed with the door handles shaved that some cars look blank, and also im old school and this car is bare bones so I dont want it to look like a sissy custom job.

With the rear I do want a clean un cluttered look, but I want function. I dont mind opening the trunk to fill my gas tank but Im not shure I want to push a button to do so, so im thinking I should keep the trunk lock and the gas cap, but maby find a cooler cap(?). Also Ive noticed the early 65s didnt have back up lights. Im thinking this would look cool and clean but im into function over form so I dont know.

All and all I want my car to look clean, smooth, long and streamline but with a rough bare bones, balls to the wall, dont F' with me raw power look.

Thoughts and opinions please. I need some direction.
And pics are always welcome if you have them.

• Sponsors (?)

stock 65-66 never looked really tough to me. Anyway, I've seen some nice looking (to me anyway) billit gas caps in a NPD catalog. I would probablly do away with the trunk lock and just use a remote for the deck lid. I've heard of people using PT Crusier door handles which looks good. I wouldn't delete door handles.
The sound should let them know you have a V8 :D
on my 67, I took to bumper guards and "FORD", "MUSTANG" from the fenders and deck lid. Almost everyone knows what it is anyway. I left the running ponies and the other chrome.

I like 'em shaved :D

stangongrass.jpg

Attachments

• stangongrass.jpg
    stangongrass.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 74
Thanks,
What I was reffering to on the V8 thing is that when people see a classic mustang the first thing they look fore is the V emblem on the fender.

As far as the gas cap goes, I think Ill just stick with stock because Im not crazy about paying 80+ for a gas cap.

Where I live Ive seen a few converted 6 cars and some 6 cars that run around and I have pride for the V emblem my car wears, but I dont want the car to look cluttered or buisy. Do you think It would be Ok to leave the V emblem and nothing els? If I do this then there will be no running horse at all and I think it also like the V emblem makes a strong statement but I dont know. Im so confused. :rolleyes:

IMO, if you get rid of too much of the chrome you loose some of what makes an old car cool.

(Old Picture, i have since tinted the windows, redone the vent & qrtr frame, and door handle chrome, and added bullet style mirors)

sid1a02.JPG

gp001 said:
IMO, if you get rid of too much of the chrome you loose some of what makes an old car cool.

I agree with this compleatly. What i dont know though is if the emblems and other stock peices will go with the intended look of the car with the addition of an R model apron and glass hood.

Things that i know Im getting rid of:
Q pannel scoop simulator things
Bumper guards
Front bumper
Rocker panel moulding (strip of chrome bellow the doors)
Running pony in grill

Things Im not shure about:
Any or all emblems
Rear back up lights
Trunk lock
Gas cap

I would leave the door handles & the 289 badge. I think removing the lower fender badging would clean the look up without making it too bland. (A year from now, if you change your mind, just remove the filler from the holes.!)

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a '66 GT350-H clone/restomod. I've been kicking around the idea of putting the Cobra badging in the fenders, but haven't made up my mind.

I used to like all the chrome badging, rocker moldings, and whatnot when I had a coupe. It is one of the things that make these cars classsic. After owning and driving a Shelby for almost 20 years I have become accustomed to no badging or rocker moldings and the look has grown on me. I still like the drip rail, bumpers, window frame chrome, door handles, and lock cylinders though.....to me these are just part of these cars and I like a little chrome to contrast the paint.