Optional Handling Suspension GT

spectravp

Apr 29, 2004
NY
I have noticed for the past couple of months, in the Ford ordering guide, a mention of an optional handling suspension for the GT. However, it fails to mention any details as to what this option entails.

I had gone so far as to speculate that it may be IRS, probably as a mid-2005 option like the 18's. Considering that the platform has been designed for IRS, it is not that far fetched. It could very well be a $3000 option. Who knows. It would be great if that's the case but, I doubt it will be.

I am not a suspension guru; that is to say that my suspension knowledge is limited to knowing what a live axle is and what an IRS is and their associated benefits. So, I am asking you people, who are far more knowlegable than I in this arena, what could possibly be the "optional handling suspension"? Braces; springs; do-hickeys? Speculate away...

Anyone who has not seen this in the guide, it's on page 2 under the Functional Changes section. Guide can be had here: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/2005_MUSTANG_ORDER_GUIDE.pdf

• Sponsors (?)

scottie1113 said:
I doubt that it will be IRS. Sigh. Except for that, the only other thing I can imagine would be 18" wheels, and that's been kicked around enough here already.

We should know tomorrow.

Could be... but if it is, Ford picked a mighty misleading title for that option.

I never really gave it much thought before, but it has occured to me that in some of the mustang photo's I've seen, the ride height seems lower than in others. This is evident by what looks like a tighter wheel well opening in some photo's. Maybe the optional suspension package is a stiffer spring/shock combination that also lowers the car a bit.

Has anyone else noticed this?

shatner saves said:
I never really gave it much thought before, but it has occured to me that in some of the mustang photo's I've seen, the ride height seems lower than in others. This is evident by what looks like a tighter wheel well opening in some photo's. Maybe the optional suspension package is a stiffer spring/shock combination that also lowers the car a bit.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep, I noticed, and I'm thinking the same thing--probably a shock/spring package.

spectravp said:
That would be cool as it would also lessen that wheel gap. Maybe I can keep 17's on the car instead of 18's...

18's will not fill out the wheel wells any better. Using my tire selection calulator:

The base wheel/tire is a 235/55/17, which yeilds a tire height of 27.18 inches
The option wheel/tire is a 255/45/18, where the tire height is 27.04 inches
That means that the 17" tire actually fills the wheel well *slightly* better, by a mere .070". That's not even a tread depth.

I think the upgrade give u better shocks and springs, maybe it add some strut bars or something. It would be cool if it lowerd the car and gave it a really cool stance. but i wouldnt get my hopes up over any IRS. A suspention upgrade would not be bigger rims though. That doesnt make any sence.

shatner saves said:
18's will not fill out the wheel wells any better. Using my tire selection calulator:

That means that the 17" tire actually fills the wheel well *slightly* better, by a mere .070". That's not even a tread depth.

I'm curious, where'd you see the 255/45/18 tires as an option?
Thanks.

Jason

If you are reading the line under "functional changes" then I think you are misinterpreting it. That section is telling you what is different from the '04. New suspension is referring to the V6 and the optional handling package is the GT. Thought the part that says (GT) I think is supposed to say standard on GT. If Ford was doing a handling package then wouldn't it would have fallen under the packages section?

They are referring to an option package that was on a previous (probably fake) version of the order sheet which listed "optional handling package". However the fact is that is no longer appears on the "real" one, as a seperate package. I think we are getting all riled up about a typo, or vauge reference.

SVTJayC said:
They are referring to an option package that was on a previous (probably fake) version of the order sheet which listed "optional handling package". However the fact is that is no longer appears on the "real" one, as a seperate package. I think we are getting all riled up about a typo, or vauge reference.

We are not referring to a fake order sheet... we are referring to the final version that is on this forum. Look where I said to look and you will see it. On any order guide I saw, it never appeared under the packages section. It was always under the functional changes section.

However, someone else did point out an interesting fact: If it is indeed a handling package, why would it not appear under the optional packages section? This person may very well be correct that the "(GT)" at the end of the line simply means standard on the GT referring to the stiffer suspension that has always accompanied th GT. But, then again, why would they call it optional?

SVTJay is correct though: we are just speculating here... until we can go to a dealer and see a brochure, or something else in writing from Ford; at Ford; who knows for sure? But – hey! –*we need something to distract our minds until Oct/Nov.

shatner saves said:

You're on a roll Shatner, you're correct again.

It seems that a lot of people are very confused about tire & wheel sizes.

If you look at any moden car, ALL of the tire & wheel options are worked out so the rolling circumference of your tire is as identical as possible no matter if it is a 16", 17", 18" or 19" wheel. The sidewall height changes (aspect ratio) to maintain the same circumference (& diameter).

The handling option is most likely the 18" tires with new shocks and sway bars, maybe springs too. Reference to it has been removed from the latest 05 Stang ordering guide (updated yesterday) so you will not see the 18's for a while.

I'd say that the 18" tires / handling option will not appear until Job 2, which is when the Convertible goes into production (currently scheduled for early February).

A tidbit of info for you guys. Ford has pretty much gone to a system where any changes to options, colors, models, etc. only happens twice a year.
These update times are called "Job 1" and "Job 2".

Job 1, which is the start of production for a new vehicle or a new model year for the same vehicle. Job 2 is the mid-year update that normally will take place anytime between December and April for a vehicle that had a "Normal" Job1 date - which would be late July or August.

The only time Ford will make changes other than on Job1 and Job2 dates is if it needs to make any safety, reliability or emissions fixes that can't wait until Job2 or next year's Job1.

351CJ said:
The handling option is most likely the 18" tires with new shocks and sway bars, maybe springs too. Reference to it has been removed from the latest 05 Stang ordering guide (updated yesterday) so you will not see the 18's for a while.

The order guide was not updated yesterday, it was post dated to 5/24 and has been out for weeks; at least I have had it for weeks. And, the referrence to the handling option is still in there, page 2, under functional changes... :shrug:

If it were a "package" why not list it under "optional packages"? I think it is either a mistake, or a vague reference to the suspension diff between V6 and GT. I still find it unsettling about this document that it quotes 2 different HP figures for both motors.

The tone in here is getting somewhat adversarial. The simple fact is that there is a grey area in the order guide that needs to be cleared up. I have no problem *speculating* that if there is an optional suspension package, that it could very well be a spring/shock combination.

spectravp said:
The order guide was not updated yesterday, it was post dated to 5/24 and has been out for weeks; at least I have had it for weeks. And, the referrence to the handling option is still in there, page 2, under functional changes... :shrug:

Sorry, but you do not have the latest copy. It was definately updated yesterday 5/24. They did not change the dates on the pages, but the .pdf file size and date changed. The referace to the handling option was delted on page 1. And as I posted on another thread, the latest ordering guide also increased the HP on the V6 again (page 8).

351CJ said:
Sorry, but you do not have the latest copy. It was definately updated yesterday 5/24. They did not change the dates on the pages, but the .pdf file size and date changed. The referace to the handling option was delted on page 1. And as I posted on another thread, the latest ordering guide also increased the HP on the V6 again (page 8).

I'm beginning to think as SVTJay does.... that this ordering guide may very well be a hoax... It's getting updated way too often for the traditional speed in which the gears of Corporate America churn. It takes weeks to get documents like this through the proper channels. And, with all the apparent discrepencies, it's starting to raise my eyebrow as well.

When I started this thread, I asked for speculation knowing that this document, if authentic, was not final and anything could change. I was interested in hearing what, if any, optional handling package for the GT would or might entail; pure speculation, authenticity need not apply. I did not want to argue wether the guide was authentic or not as we have seen how fruitless those arguments can be. I will cite the "2006 Cobra Spotted!" thread and rest my case.

351CJ: When I stated the guide had not changed, I wasn't being accusatory, just inquisitive.

my dealer processed my order today. ihope most of the ordering guide is correct because ford accepted the order and id hate to end up with a fuscia v6 taurus in september.: :D ) the one interesting thing about my order was they couldn't input my requested spoiler delete option. this may be due to the fact that im in toronto canada and the option is not available here?