Ordered Pi Headswap kit

CanadaStang

Sep 7, 2003
Mb
Just ordered a Pi Head swap kit for my 98 GT. I couldn't decide wether to sell it and find an older Cobra, or buy a newer GT, but I hated to sell the 98' cause it's in such nice shape, so I thought I'd put some more ponies in the correl.

• Sponsors (?)

Red2000GT said:
Cool,you'll be really close to an older Cobra's output with the swap any ways.
I'm suprized to hear that, as I thought the Cobras would have been much faster.Good to know, that cheers me up :nice: I'm just hoping I don't have to get a tune after, as there is nowhere around here to get it done.
Sure do like those 1/4 mile times of that Stang of yours :hail2:

You'll be very happy with the swap! I did mine about a month ago and I love it. I added long tube headers and a prochamber at the same time so I don't really know what it feels like for just the heads but my horse power has increased substantially! With a good shift into second and even third now I can cut the tires loose. It's awesome! I haven't got a tune for mine yet. I am still trying to get some dyno time to see what the HP numbers are and to see if the air fuel ratio is ok. It is running great though. I've been told you can get some extra horse out of the dyno tune. We'll see once I get in. Good luck with the swap, if you have any problems put another post here and I'm sure any number of people can help. Have fun! :nice:

TweekedGT said:
Damn, this is one old thread you guys revived!
Holy Crappers!!! Where'd this thread come from? I thought all this old stuff was wiped out after the StangNet crash?
Kinda cool though!
Just for the record, the headswap went great and I couldn't be happier!!! :)

glad your happy with it..

just some more info on the 96-98 cobras..

they make 305 hp but the power band is REALLY steep, wich is good for road racing etc.. but they are not good drag cars..

a couple yrs ago i saw 2 of them running as slow as 15.8-16.2 at SIR the same day my bone stock auto 96 GT was first at the track running 15.4..

granted that was probably bad drivers, but the general consensus i have seen is a well driven stock 99-04 GT can run about even with them.. and considering a heaswapped car will have a touch more power than said GT's.. there you go.

but the upside to the cobras funny powerband, is with a set of gears they get ALOT faster.. 4.30s and helloooooooooo :D

Green4.6GT said:

they make 305 hp but the power band is REALLY steep, wich is good for road racing etc.. but they are not good drag cars..

a couple yrs ago i saw 2 of them running as slow as 15.8-16.2 at SIR the same day my bone stock auto 96 GT was first at the track running 15.4..

granted that was probably bad drivers, but the general consensus i have seen is a well driven stock 99-04 GT can run about even with them.. and considering a heaswapped car will have a touch more power than said GT's.. there you go.

but the upside to the cobras funny powerband, is with a set of gears they get ALOT faster.. 4.30s and helloooooooooo :D

Well, actually I would really liked to have gotten a Cobra, but I had looked around for one for an entire summer and couldn't find anything that was in really nice shape for a fair price. It's not like I didn't like my car, I just was really unimpressed with the non-pi engine, but after the pi-headswap I enjoy driving it again, and with the nitrous and the porting it zips along better than I ever could have imagined while still getting the same mileage and drivability as when it was stock.

Green4.6GT said:

Those guys had to be bad drivers. I ran my '97 Cobra to a [email protected] in Calgary which is almost 2000 feet higher than SIR. It had K&N, Pullies, Subframes, ET Streets, Tri-Ax shifter and 4.10 gears. Not exactly a heavily modified car.

I will say that having owned both a '97 Cobra and an '02 GT, I feel that the Cobra was likely slightly overrated and the GT is probably a little underrated. The GT feels more like 20 HP less than 45 HP less to me, but that's a pretty subjective measure.

-Matthew